Question

Mac OSX Controller

• 29 September 2017
  • 11 replies

I have a single router network (BT Homehub 6) and a Sonos set up (4 x Ones and Play Bar). System works great from iPad and IOS10 and IOS11 phones. But no matter what I try I cannot get my MacBook to connect to the system. When I open it up I'm asked whether its a new system or connect to existing, I choose the latter. The message is no existing system can be found, so I go through the two button press on one of the devices but it does not connect.
Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Try the advice in this link.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2069/~/how-to-configure-mac-os-x-firewall

Make sure your Mac is connected to the same network as the Sonos and the iPads/iPhones. You should NOT have to try to re-connect by creating a new system. Do not be tempted to factory reset.
All seems present and correct. The only difference I can see is that the MacBook is on a 2.4ghz and the Sonos on a 5ghz. Very frustrating
Sonos cannot connect to 5GHz - what is giving you that impression? If it is the other way round that might be a plausible explanation
Sorry, other way around. Just double checked
Sorry, other way around. Just double checked

You need to connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi because your router does not bridge between the two. As an alternative, you can connect a Sonos device to the router via Ethernet cable (aka Boost setup); that will bridge the WiFi bands and allow you to control Sonos via 2.4 and 5 GHz.
I have a Boost but did away with it as I thought the wi-fi method was preferred / superior. Am I right or is there little difference?
I have a Boost but did away with it as I thought the wi-fi method was preferred / superior. Am I right or is there little difference?No you are totally wrong! If anything is superior it is Boost mode, although not so critical with smaller setups. With several devices you should probably be in Boost mode.
I have a Boost but did away with it as I thought the wi-fi method was preferred / superior. Am I right or is there little difference?

There is a difference but it is quite the opposite from WiFi being preferred. The Sonosnet setup (Boost setup) will be superior to standard setup in the vast majority of homes due to the mesh architecture and dedicated network. Better range, better reliability, and it will not interfere with your standard WiFi signal (and vice versa).

As stated here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046

Standard Setup: In a Standard Setup, your Sonos products connect to your home’s WiFi network, just like any other wireless devices in your home (such as cell phones and computers). Your WiFi signal is broadcast by your wireless router, which can only handle so much traffic at any given time. If the other wireless devices in your home are very slow to load web pages or stream video, your Sonos products will be competing for attention from your already busy router, and you may experience dropouts or audio interruptions.

BOOST Setup: To overcome these limitations, you can keep one of your Sonos products connected to your router with an Ethernet cable, which will put your system in a BOOST Setup. The wired product will create a dedicated wireless network specifically for your Sonos system, so it will not compete with the other wireless devices in your home for the router’s attention. Additionally, your Sonos products will be able to pass the wireless signal to other Sonos products, which means it’s possible for Sonos to operate in a room that is beyond the reach of your WiFi.
Off to find that Boost then. Thanks for everyone's help and advice
Boost mode is how Sonos was designed to work. "Standard" mode was only introduced to counter ill-informed criticism that Sonos was not "truly wireless" because it required one wired device.
I suggest you don't just wire it direct to your router at first. Plug it in wirelessly, update the firmware, then connect to your router by Ethernet..