Question

Mac OS 10.9.5

• 6 February 2018
  • 6 replies

Really? It's not possible to get Sonos for Mac OS 10.9.5?

First, the recent upgrade removed my Pandora Thumbs Down option. So, I uninstalled Sonos. Now with the new version I'm told I need to upgrade my Mac OS. No way. Everything is working fine on this Mac -- I have another one that is newer and much of my workflow is broken on that one. Now Sonos is broken on this one. I find it hard to believe that they can't (won't) keep a 10.9.5 version available.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi,

Sonos version 8.3 which came out just about two weeks ago was incompatible with 10.9.5. If you've updated your players to that version, you'd need to use an updated controller with them. When it comes to operating systems that have stopped getting updates from their developer, we try to keep them running for Sonos as long as possible. Eventually, they can't keep supporting our software as we develop and add features. 10.9.5, hasn't received updates since September 2016, and is missing some important security updates.

Most all computers that can run 10.9.5 can be updated to our minimum requirements, OS X 10.10. If you need a hand getting another controller up and running, feel free to give us a call. They're happy to help answer any of your questions.

The Pandora thumbs up and down should be available on just about all controllers right now, is it missing from one of yours? It may have dropped off of the 10.9.5 one because Pandora recently updates its integration with Sonos and the code for that wasn't compatible with the 10.9.5 Sonos app.
Yes, I'd like a hand installing Sonos 8.2
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I understand the sentiment, but if the players have already updated to 8.3 (which is likely the case) the 8.2 software on just the computer wouldn't be able to control Sonos. With the recent security issues that have arisen like the KRACK wireless vulnerability which won't be getting fixed on the older OS, it's a good idea to update that computer as soon as possible.
Hello! I have the same issue. Sonos desktop stopped working after the latest update. And I have 10.9.5. Are you saying that the _only_ way to run Sonos on my iMac with 10.9.5 is to upgrade it to OS X 10.10? Thanks for any help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello! I have the same issue. Sonos desktop stopped working after the latest update. And I have 10.9.5. Are you saying that the _only_ way to run Sonos on my iMac with 10.9.5 is to upgrade it to OS X 10.10? Thanks for any help!

Yes. That is exactly what they are saying.

Normally when Sonos stops supporting a particular operating system the controller will continue to work but will have progressively reduced function. But, as mentioned above, sometimes that isn't possible and the controller will not function on an older operating system. That is the case in this instance
However, that mac can still be the source of the music files, and a controller on a mobile device can be used to maintain the Sonos system.