Answered

Mac OS 10.12.4 update breaks Sonos Controller

• 4 April 2017
  • 6 replies

I recently updated one of my computers from Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 to 10.12.4 and all seemed fine until I tried to use the Sonos Controller and it can't see my system - no problem from other computers or iOS devices. Tried all the recommended troubleshooting steps not realizing it might have been the Mac system update.

Then today I updated another machine and the Sonos Controller won't work there either. I'm starting to sense a pattern! Has anyone else seen this? Any thoughts? Thank-you. ric
icon

Best answer by CapnLes 4 April 2017, 01:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I updated 3 macs at my home, and had no issues with controlling my Sonos equipment with them.

Have you tried rebooting the speakers? And maybe the router? Your "all the recommended troubleshooting steps" is undefined.

Do you have a controller that works, perhaps a Phone or Tablet? If so, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic and post the number here, so that a Sonos rep can look at your system, and see if there's something that might identify the issue.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi ricwilson

Welcome to the Sonos community

I have three Macs running the same software with no issues.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may correct this temporarily, but it actually exacerbates the problem because as soon as another IP lease expires, it starts handing out duplicates again. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Thanks Bruce - I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you. Yes, as mentioned I do still have connectivity from other computers on 10.12.3 as well as iOS devices (iPhones & iPads).

I have reset the router and restarted my Sonos hub. I've also tried changing the Wi-Fi settings of the system although the computer and all but 1 device (Sonos hub & speakers) are Ethernet connected.

I will certainly submit a system diagnostic, I had simply thought to start here in case someone else had seen this problem. Thanks. ric
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Make sure if you have a hard wired Sonos product to your router that Sonos and your router or on different channels

SonosNet

And that product is at least a few feet away from the router. Keep any other wireless devices as far away as you can.

Post the diagnostic number here when you are having the problem
Thanks CapnLes - your thorough and considerate response was right on. I had cycled the Sonos units and the router - which would seem like enough but clearly was not. Taking down the modem & switches as well fixed the issue. I appreciate the assist! ric
BTW - I had already statically assigned the Sonos units and my major devices (primary computers, Nest units, etc). Not sure who was the culprit but your help resolved the conflict. ric