Answered

Mac IOS 10.10.5 unable to use the Sonos App

• 8 April 2019
  • 3 replies

I have a new Sonos smart house system, and a Mac 10.10.5 with all of my music on it. I am trying to access the music directly from Sonos. The "easy" Sonos online instructions say all I have to do is download the Sonos App, click +, etc and all will work. Only problem is that there is only one App, and it is ONLY for Mac IOS versions 10.11 and higher?
Is there no way to get an older App, or otherwise access my music library? (I have a new X iPhone with the library sync'd to it).
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 April 2019, 04:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You don't need to have the app on you Mac in order to use the music stored on it. You can use the "add a Library" function on your iPhone X to point at the data on your Mac and it should work just fine, as long as it's powered on, both the Mac and the Hard Drive on it. You'd then just use the controller on your iPhone.

Sonos doesn't support older versions of their app, so you won't find them anywhere here on this website. I suppose you might find it out in the wilds of the internet, but it would be a challenge to get loaded, it might have malware associated with it, and would be unsupported by Sonos in any way.
Airgetlam,
Thanks very much for this - I actually did see (what I think is) this option on my iPhone under "'Settings', 'Manage Music Library', 'Music Library Setup', 'Add new Share.' But when I click on that it asks me for a 'Path\\computer\sharename', and then user name and password if required. I'm obviously not so tech savvy to know how to come up with the right 'Path\\computer\sharename'?
Am I in the right place, and how do I fill out that field?

Thanks!
Heh. Now you're asking questions I'm not extraordinarily comfortable with. Since I use an NAS, and don't mess with the settings very often (ever), it's not something that I pay much attention to, or keep in my personal knowledge base. But yes, you're absolutely in the right place.

The one thing I do know is that when it asks for the user name and password, it's asking for the computer's login information.

Perhaps there's another member who can fill in here, or even if you were to contact Sonos directly to discuss it, they could give you some assistance.