Mac Controller Update

• 18 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello,

Every time I receive a notification that there is a new Sonos app update available, I download the update and then it fails. I use a Mac and always have to uninstall Sonos, then reinstall from the website. It’s not a big deal, but wondering if there is a fix for this?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Odd, I’ve never had an issue on the three Macs in my home. I’m wondering if there might be some application, such as a virus protection program, that’s blocking the ability for the update to run. If you were having difficulty downloading it, I’d be thinking about a firewall blocking access to the Sonos update server.

When you download a fresh copy and install it, does it give you any difficulty when updating the firmware on the speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

macOS updates of the Sonos app routinely fail the first time for me, with an error message, and then routinely work on the second attempt, without deinstallation or reboots required. Note that a little patience is required to let the install process do its stuff.

Just my 2c of experience.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I’m wondering if there might be some application, such as a virus protection program

Virus on a macOS are you mad or just paranoid :joy:

I also never have issues updating on MacOS, hit the update, old version closes and gets binned and new version gets installed and opens up where I left off. Only thing different I might do is no software can be installed without password on my iMac.

Are you updating from the App store or directly from the software, I do it from the software.

The answer is yes to both, but those aren’t mutually exclusive. I tend not to run virus protection on my Macs, but I do on my Windows machines. But I don’t know what the OP has running, and it’s the only explanation that makes any sense to me. And if the Mac is associated with work, there may be requirements by the OP’s IT department.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m wondering if there might be some application, such as a virus protection program

Virus on a macOS are you mad or just paranoid :joy:

Off topic, but if you do some research, you’ll find that there are now plenty of macOS nasties out there, and the risk has been steadily rising due to the increasing popularity of Macs, and due to improvements in Windows security, making Macs a more attractive target. I started using macOS virus/malware checkers a couple of years ago because of this trend, having not done so for the preceding 20 years.

Thanks, everyone. I am running off of a Google mesh network rather than the native network through my ISP provider’s router. I wonder if that is having some kind of an effect. Also, I moved to Denmark recently, but Sonos is also wildly popular here so I don’t think that would be an issue. I’ll occasionally run a VPN to access U.S. content, but I don’t think I’ve done so when trying to update the controller (using my MacBook Pro through the desktop Sonos app; updating the app on my iPhone works just fine).