Question

Lost my iTunes

• 26 February 2017
  • 7 replies

I have an iMac using the highest allowable OS of 10.7.5 because of hardware constraints. Sonos automatic update has removed my ability to connect to iTunes and/or update my library. I'm not going to buy a new computer.Does anyone
have a work around on getting iTunes into the new Sonos update?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

jus_gary,

Any chance you have that music synced to an iPhone or iPad? You could use those as a repository that the current controller can access. I often play music from my iPhone or iPad, even though the actual music is also on my Macbook Pro, mostly because I let the HD sleep when needed.
No chance, Why can't Sonos just make a software patch?
If I were to guess, it's because Apple no longer provides support. It's not unusual for software companies to no longer provide support for outdated operating systems. No one likes to tell anyone that they're no longer supported, but the challenges in maintaining code for systems that you can no longer get information on is challenging, at the least.

Sorry not to have better news for you.
You can still connect to the library and update it via a compatible iOS or Android app. The only thing Sonos has been forced to remove is the Settings menu items that are no longer possible on that PC, such as updating the library. These menu items are still available on other controllers, and it does not affect the ability to play your music library from your Mac.
Exactly. I can add music, podcasts, import movies and buy songs in iTunes. Play anything and everything on the iMac.
But if I want to listen to my iTunes music in the room where I have Sonos speakers setup, I no longer can. Sonos required
an update. The update no longer allows iTunes to be recognized as a music source. If I could have had a choice in updating, then my system would still be working. I don't even have the option of re-installing the older version.
Therefore I have a $200 paper weight.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Exactly. I can add music, podcasts, import movies and buy songs in iTunes. Play anything and everything on the iMac.
But if I want to listen to my iTunes music in the room where I have Sonos speakers setup, I no longer can. Sonos required
an update. The update no longer allows iTunes to be recognized as a music source. If I could have had a choice in updating, then my system would still be working. I don't even have the option of re-installing the older version.

I think you may be misunderstanding what jgatie is saying. (or I am...) Do you own any other device that you can place the Sonos Controller app on? (an android or apple phone? tablet?) If so, it is my understanding that you can leave the music where it is on your mac... and any new music, etc can be on your mac... BUT, you need to update the Sonos library from a different controller. That controller can point your Sonos devices to your mac and your existing library... you are just asking it to update the content/music index. the only thing you can't do is do that refresh from the device itself, but if you have ANY OTHER controller you can still do it. I get that may seem weird, but that is what I understand Sonos is forced to do...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As SHARKB8T says this is a completely INCORRECT statement

Assuming you haven't moved your iTunes music location since your controller on the Mac was in limited functionality then you will be able to play ALL your iTunes music even new stuff added.

By the way, forget about a Sonos/iTunes love in as it doesn't exist - Sonos just wants to know where the music is located AND have access to it - The use or otherwise of iTunes has zero relevance for your Sonos music playback**

** The only watch out is the somewhat flaky handling of tags by iTunes that sometimes causes issues