Answered

lock screen volume android 12

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I know this question has been asked before but there doesn't seem to be a fix and it's the one major issue that will make me return the Sonos Amp. 

I'm using Google pixel 3a with android 12 and can't get the volume controls to work when the screen is locked. Tried everything the articles suggested.

Not sure if it's an android issue or Sonos but Sonos should consider adding small remotes for volume and play/pause. Can be a wifi remote not IR necessary so no need for added complexities and components. This will reduce dependence on iOS and Android.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 April 2022, 10:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I will just mention this Support document link below, in case you hadn’t come across it. Not sure if it may help…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3062

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I read both articles and nothing works! The screenshot is from my lock screen. The hardware buttons will only change the phone's ring volume. To change the Sonos Amp volume, you need to expand the lock screen banner, click the adjust volume link, enter phone password, open Sonos if it's not open and then slide the volume slider.

Userlevel 1

I can't find any fix for this either. It makes using the speakers annoying. Instead of being simple, you have to get into the Sonos app in order to use the phone's volume buttons to control the volume. As in, you literally need to see the open app on your screen. This is a pathetic downgrade to the speakers' use, and I have seen no indication yet that Sonos cares at all to fix it. They have been remarkably silent about this. They apparently won some lawsuit, and their customers lost. Makes sense, right? 

Same here.  Just doesn't work with Android 12.  I'm guessing it can't be fixed, Google probably changed things to be compliant with the lawsuit Sonos bright against them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Migo33 

Thanks for your post!

We are aware of this issue related to Android 12 - we expect that this issue should be fixed with the release of Android 12L (launch occurring around spring 2022).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No worries @Corry PP, I work in tech and often user experience is affected by third parties or too many variables within a product ecosystem. 

Hence why I don't understand why Sonos doesn't develop a simple wifi base remote. Just volume and start/pause is what most people need. Even before the age of remote controls people walked to their devices mostly to lower the volume or turn off the device. Changing channels was secondary.

Cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Migo33 

Although we didn’t manufacture it, we did actually sell on our website a device called the iPORT xPRESS - it was before my time, really, and I don’t know why it’s not around anymore - as a guess, it probably developed compatibility issues as we developed our software/devices. Or, as people now seem to spend their entire lives with a phone glued to their eyes, maybe it wasn’t selling so much anymore.

One thing that can be said about using an app instead of a physical controller is the reduction of eventual e-waste.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That's a fair point. Less E junk is better. 

Hi @Migo33 

Thanks for your post!

We are aware of this issue related to Android 12 - we expect that this issue should be fixed with the release of Android 12L (launch occurring around spring 2022).

I hope this helps.

I have Android 12L on my Pixel, and this still doesn't work.

Any update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @100RNR 

I believe the information I posted above came straight from Google, and as far as I know, there hasn’t been more since. Google may have delayed the fix, for whatever reason. For an updated timescale on a resolution, I can only refer you to Google.

I would recommend first disabling and enabling the lock-screen option in the Sonos app, and also uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app, however, as these steps could convince the app the option is available in Android again.

Control Sonos from the Android lock screen

If you continue to have issues, please get in touch with our technical support team so we can investigate. Thanks.

Hi @100RNR 

I believe the information I posted above came straight from Google, and as far as I know, there hasn’t been more since. Google may have delayed the fix, for whatever reason. For an updated timescale on a resolution, I can only refer you to Google.

I would recommend first disabling and enabling the lock-screen option in the Sonos app, and also uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app, however, as these steps could convince the app the option is available in Android again.

Control Sonos from the Android lock screen

If you continue to have issues, please get in touch with our technical support team so we can investigate. Thanks.

Yes, I still have the problem.  I got in touch with Sonos technical support and they pin the blame on Google.

Fix your mess.

Yes, I still have the problem.  I got in touch with Sonos technical support and they pin the blame on Google.

Fix your mess.

If Google didn’t include the fix in their 12L update for whatever reason. It’s not Sonos’ mess to fix by all accounts - you should perhaps be bothering Google to fix it.

Google did say they were going to include it in 12L, but clearly that was not the case. That subsequent delay is not any fault on Sonos’ part.

If customers ‘badger’ Google to fix it, aswell as Sonos making the request from their end, it might help persuade Google to get it done sooner, rather than them keep moving it further down their own list of development priorities.