Question

linux users

• 28 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Are there users of SONOS with LINUX (Debian , Ubunto , Mint or others) ?

Is it possible to use LINUX with SONOS?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge
A very brief tutorial on how I use Sonos and Linux. I use Linux mint but this has been tested by me with Ununtu.
Download the latest version d pulse audio-dl a from https://github.com/masmu/pulseaudio-dlna
Install in the usual way. This is a command line application. To test, open a terminal window and type pulsation-dlna
Leave the terminal open.
Now go to Sound settings and choose the Sonos device you wish to use to play output.
Test by playing some music, locally or streaming. After a second or two's delay you should hear your Sonos device.
I make it even easier by adding pulse audio-dlna to my startup program list. This way you don't need to keep a terminal open.
Best if all, if you are a Spotify premium user, you can stream music already saved on your device.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
We had someone post an topic on how to install Sonos on Linux: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/tutorial-how-to-install-the-sonos-controller-on-linux-6736430
Good luck!
Badge
Are there users of SONOS with LINUX (Debian , Ubunto , Mint or others) ?

Is it possible to use LINUX with SONOS?

I am perfectly satisfied using my various Sonos components with Linux. I use linux mint but I kbow Ubuntu works just fine. The only extra component needed is the great pulseaudio-dlna which I run as a startup option. When I want to use my Sonos system I simply go to sound settings and select the Sonos device I wish to play my music on. Then my playlists are all available, streaming services all work and best of all, any Spotify music previously saved, is available without the need to re-stream.
Glad to further explain if required.
Badge

Glad to further explain if required.

Please do! 🙂
Badge
Thanks!