Answered

LImiting Access

• 10 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello There

I have looked at this type of issue but do not find the right answer. There are threads about taking over control to sonos speaker on same wifi network or asking for password airplay but I’m not sure all this is related to my question. Sorry if this is a FAQ.

I have just acquired my 2 first Sonos equipment (Move) and configured correctly (I think). I have used the sonos app from my iphone for that. They are connected to my private WIFI network. Once systems were up and set up I start listening a bit of music and stop … need to continue working and attend meetings… My wife arrives, sees the system and immediately connect to them thru bluetooth and starts listening music… What anyone detecting equipment thru bluetooth can take ownership and control ? What ???

I look all over the application and it seems there is not security topic for such thing. Is there a way to limit access to this equipement to a single admin or group of admin?

If I use this equipment in a showroom, does everyone will be able to connect thru bluetooth and take over control?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

icon

Best answer by John B 10 July 2020, 11:05

Hi.  If your wife was using Bluetooth then the speaker was not on your WiFi network and was acting just as a dumb Bluetooth speaker.  Have you set the speaker up on your local network?  If you put the speaker into WiFi mode by pressing the appropriate button then it will only be available to persons to whom you have grated access to your network.

View original

5 replies

Hi.  If your wife was using Bluetooth then the speaker was not on your WiFi network and was acting just as a dumb Bluetooth speaker.  Have you set the speaker up on your local network?  If you put the speaker into WiFi mode by pressing the appropriate button then it will only be available to persons to whom you have grated access to your network.

Ah! thank you for your quick answer. I will need to check.

This may help

https://www.sonos.com/support/en-us/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fmove%2Fmove.htm

John, you were right. 

She came in, saw the Move system, try to access and since it was not responding, go to the back side and switch on bluetooth…

Thanks for your help

Norbert

My pleasure.  I’m glad all is well.