Limit guests from changing system settings

• 4 August 2018
  • 2 replies

I was at a vacation rental with a sonos play:3 last week, and was unable to add my own music service. I figured the owner did that on purpose to save her from having to re-set it all the time - smart!

Now we're looking at putting 4 players in our new vacation rental, but I can't figure out how to enable guest limits like that. On my current home system, it appears that anyone with the app can add music services, change My Sonos playlists, etc. How do I let friends and guests play music without screwing up my system?

thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, djrogers. This should not have been possible via any means available in-app. Suffice to say, this may be benefiting her but it is not the way the system was intended to work. Perhaps another user can chime in with alternative means by which to achieve this. Many thanks.
The vacation home last week...it was a Sonos system?

If I was going to setup a vacation rental with Sonos, I wouldn't allow guests access to the system through the app at all. I'd only allow access through voice control. That limits the system a bit and voice isn't always as convenient as using the app, but it would prevent unwanted changes to configuration. I would only give vacationers access to a guest wifi.

There maybe third party apps that allow control of the system without any configuration, but I've honestly never looked at them. You can also play audio directly from music service apps, like Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, or airplay. However, you would need to be on main wifi network for that, and thus the vactioner could get the Sonos app as well. Perhaps if you provided a tablet with these apps that was on the network, but did not allow them to install apps could work.