Answered

Lifespan of newer products

• 23 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

If new Sonos products are purchased, how long will they receive software support?   I ask because it was never made clear that Sonos would intentionally cease to support products that work perfectly (aside from Sonos’s decision to cease supporting them).    

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 24 January 2020, 00:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For a minimum of five years from the last date the product was sold by Sonos.

In practice full support and updates have been available much longer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

If new Sonos products are purchased, how long will they receive software support?   I ask because it was never made clear that Sonos would intentionally cease to support products that work perfectly (aside from Sonos’s decision to cease supporting them).    

All they are promising is 5 years. If you want updates for a long time it's a dice roll. Smart money says don't buy playbar, p5 gen2, play1, Connect (they actuy still sell this), Playbase and maybe beam and maybe sub until they clarify with specific dates. Just my opinion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think the Play 1 clock started in December 2019, the rest are still being sold so the 5 year minimum clock hasn’t started on them.

The clock on the Connect (new version) (I think) started recently while it has run out on the pre-2015 version.

I don’t recall the last sale date of the Play 3 but that clock has started too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just looked at the Sonos site in World mode instead of my normal US mode and I’m seeing products still on offer there that I’m missing on the US version. Makes the support clock issue a bit more complicated but better for us users.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Just looked at the Sonos site in World mode instead of my normal US mode and I’m seeing products still on offer there that I’m missing on the US version. Makes the support clock issue a bit more complicated but better for us users.

yeah they have a last chance section with various old products. Then there’s the P1 silent refresh in 2017. Personally I have no plans to purchase new products for now, but if I was the list I posted above is the ones I would avoid for sure until there’s some clarity but just my opinion.