Question

Life without CDs stored on my IPhone

• 12 November 2019
  • 2 replies

So all my CDs are stored on my IPhone Xr.  They play fine in my car on Bluetooth.  We don’t want Alexa or another similar device in the house and don’t want to leave the computer running all day.  What is the next best solution or should i wait for Apple to give in and fix this?

2 replies

Apple is not going to give in, so get that out of the way.

Your choices are the following, with pros and cons listed:

Buy an Airplay compatible Sonos speaker and group it with your current speakers.

Pros:
You can stream from any Airplay compatible app on your phone, which gives you far greater abilities besides tracks housed on your phone. 

Cons:
Cost of at least a Sonos One/Symphonisk speaker. The grouping thing is kind of wonky.

Add your PC/Mac based library to Sonos

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained. 

Cons:
PC/Mac has to be on. Useless for those who don't own a PC/Mac. 

Add your music library to an NAS drive

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music available 24/7, no need to keep a PC/Mac running. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.  

Cons:
Cost. A 4 TB NAS goes for about $160. 

Add your music library to a USB Thumb drive connected to your router’s USB port. 

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music available 24/7, no need to keep a PC/Mac running. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.  

Cons:
Cost. A 128 GB thumb drive is under $30.  Some router NAS setups are more unreliable than a traditional NAS.

Install Plex

Pros:
Free. Your entire library is available on all devices. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained. 

Cons:
Plex is wonky. Search is worse. Have to keep a PC running.

Upload library to free Google Play Music account.

Pros:
Free. Your entire library plus playlists are available on all devices. Also, each user can add their GPM account and access their library by default. Syncs to iTunes. Library is available to the GPM app on the device itself when not near Sonos. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained. 

Cons:
Some people refuse to get a Google account. Those with metered internet will possibly have charges for streaming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you want an inexpensive NAS you can build one yourself using something like a Raspberry Pi computer.

I prefer using a NAS, but it must support SMB v1 or using an SMB v1 gateway to a non SMB v1 NAS.