Library - Most Recently Added

• 5 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi

I add & remove music to my library on a regular basis. One feature I would like is to search the library by 'Most Recently Added'. Would anyone else like to see this feature?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +2
oh totally, this would be at the top of my wish lists.
I have to dive into my archive and then list by 'date created/modified' to remember what I have added.
to not have to do this would be bloody brilliant.
however, I think the chances of such a thing being added are somewhat slim.
m.e
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yes it would be awesome. But it would require some of that scarce Sonos memory (either an extra "date added" tag on every track, or just a list of the last X tracks/albums added). And it's a feature that wouldn't work for (or be applicable to) streaming services, at least not without some per-service API work. And then there's the UI question: do you show recently added tracks? Albums? I suspect it's more design and development effort than Sonos would be willing to spend...

In the meantime, there's workaround tools like iTunes and roll-your-own directory scanning and "pen and paper"...
Thanks for the support I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult i have set my library to index over night. If a album didn't already have a date stamp. It could allocate the date and then allow the library to be indexed just like the album or artist list. Come on Sonos we ate counting on you
I tunes i spit on it - no Apple rubbish in my house
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks for the support I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult i have set my library to index over night. If a album didn't already have a date stamp. It could allocate the date and then allow the library to be indexed just like the album or artist list. Come on Sonos we ate counting on you

It's a feature request that has been made before so I'm sure Sonos are aware of it.

But I must say even though you state you don't think it's difficult you should realise it's not a trivial exercise either.

1) As Alan_6 points out this would likely require extra data to be held in the index about each song and that would mean a reduction in the maximum number of songs that is currently 65,000 - this would not be popular and that's putting it mildly!

2) How would Sonos know what was recently added rather than just having tags updated say?

3) How long should an item be considered recently added? 1 week, a month?

4) Do you want it removing from the list once it's played

5) What should the list display? Albums?, Songs? This is important for those, like me, who often add single items that aren't part of an album.

It's something I would find useful especially on the odd occasions when I add a few albums at a time I do find I forget what I have added now!