Library - current presentation makes finding some music very difficult

• 18 April 2017
  • 2 replies

I would like to be able to browse my music collection as though it were a bookshelf of CDs. For classical, I would organize it by period (genre in the itunes world) and then by composer. A library item that appears in Sonos as an album "The Sound of Austria" or the name of some obscure performer (Sonos' artist) - are both useless, and the music is inaccessible for practical purposes. A more useful presentation would be, Composer|Work, for example, "Mozart"|"Symphony #41".
I have 'fixed' this issue by redoing the iTunes Artist Field to contain Composer|Work, but that is tedious.
If Sonos were to permit the Library presentation to use or combine one or more user selectable fields from iTunes, that would greatly simplify the task. However, that solution is complicated by the fact that what works for one genre may not work for another.
So here's another suggestion: In addition to browsing the Sonos Library by Genre, Artist, Album, etc., there could be another possibility - browsing by a user created field. So if I were looking for classical music, I'd use the Composer|Work choice; if I wanted to browse my jazz, I'd select the existing Artist presentation.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

A library item that appears in Sonos as an album "The Sound of Austria" or the name of some obscure performer (Sonos' artist) - are both useless, and the music is inaccessible for practical purposes. A more useful presentation would be, Composer|Work, for example, "Mozart"|"Symphony #41".

It became obvious shortly after buying my Sonos that the exisiting browsing and display facilities wouldn't work for me. This is not to say that they're any better in any other system, though.

I organise my music by folders, and then just use the folder view. So classical is by Composer then CD (or set - then individual CDs in the set), whilst contemporary is by Artist. In your case, you could add a higher level for Period or Genre, if required.

It's not perfect, I'd much rather have multiple distinct libraries, but I doubt that Sonos is going to change anything now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Part of the problem is that there are as probably as many ways of viewing a local music library as there are users. One thing is probably for sure is that any change that would reduce the Maximum number of tracks as per the above suggestion is unlikely to fly.

Amun's suggestion to use the folder view is the way to go as you may configure that any which way.