Answered

LG OLED55CX magic remote not working with Playbase (mute)

Hi!

I have selected Sonos in the menu after the last system update  and the vol+ an vol.- are working, but when I try to mute don't work.

Anyone with the same problem?

icon

Best answer by JWPY 3 December 2020, 05:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I don’t think this is actually answered… No idea what connection the OP uses, but with optical audio, the order of connecting HDMI devices is irrelevant. LG Magic Remote does NOT send IR code when (un)muting, unless the TV is powered off. It works fine on BX, and does not work on CX.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @JWPY.

Thanks. Very thorough answer and I appreciate your expertise.

This can definitely benefit those members that might encounter the same scenario.

Let us know if may have questions or concerns, you’re always welcome here in the community.

Cheers!

I have a similar issue with my new LG TV and Sonos ARC. I called the Sonos support and was told to try and fix the volume and mute issue with the remote setting like Philips … None of them work.

I ended up call LG and had one of their engineers onsite and he managed to help me resolve the issue.

The steps are:

• unplug all hdmi adapter except Sonos which for me is on hdmi 2 port
  • reset LG TV to initial set
  • add back hdmi connection one at a time

The remote works after that. For my case it was Android TV box that caused the problem. When connected it seems to created issues between LG TV and Sonos ARC. Once it is created, the reset is the only way to fix it.

I have the same issue. CX TV, Sonos Playbar.

Volume +/- world, mute doesn't.

It actually looks like the remote does not send IR codes for mute, unless the TV has its power cord unplugged. Then the mute starts to work fine.

I actually have a friend who has a BX model and his remote does send those codes.

It looks like an issue with TV firmware.

Try resetting up the remote with the Sonos. It may be looking for the wrong IR codes.

I have same issue with LG Remote and playbar. Volume ± on my remote regulate audio up and Down fine on my playbar, but mute have no effect om the Audio. The mute icon appers on the screen when mute is pressed. LG IR mute command are not translated correct. Mute button on previous Samsung TV worked perfect.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Ron Cory.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I’d be more than glad to help and try to figure this out.

The LG Magic Remote does not output Infrared (IR) signals by default like many other remote controls.

It uses radio frequencies (RF) or Bluetooth to communicate directly to the TV or other devices.

Kindly click on this link for the configuration that is necessary to enable IR output for use with Sonos home theater products.

I  have found also this relevant thread in the community that may help on this particular concern:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/controlling-sonos-via-lg-smart-tvs-remote-issues-6735877

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

I am having the exact same identical issue i.e. mute button from the LG remote control does not mute the Sonos 5.1 home theater system.   I contacted LG and was transferred to a robot that sent me a text message that was no help.

Can you help me??  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jusalq.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

I understand, and  I appreciate your patience and effort in all the tests that we did.

We are now certain that the problem is not on your Playbase, because it works with other remote even on the app.

I suggest that it’s best to reach out with LG support, let them know the problem as well as the tests that we did to isolate the issue.

There might be some other configuration needed on the remote so they can assist you further.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out, we are always here to help.

Yes, it works, but I need this remote in another place. I was explaining that before trying with themagic remote I have done all the setup process. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jusalq.

Sorry, I didn’t get that. Did the other remote work with the Playbase?

No, it worked because I tried to program it with the Sonos app, but then I have done all the setup process with the magic remote.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jusalq.

Thanks for your immediate response.

To verify if I understand it correctly, both the TV and Sonos mute function works using other LG TV remote and Sonos app?

Kindly confirm if you can ‘Mute’ the Playbase and if it will respond using that other LG TV remote that you have.

Note: Only one remote can be programmed to control the Sonos home theater speaker at a time.

If you will use another remote, you would need to program it first with the Playbase, following the same steps above.

Please let me know how it goes.

Hi Annazel!

I see the mute symbol in my tv when I press mute button. If I use the remote control of my other lg tv it works, and when I use the Sonos app the mute function works too, but with the magic remote it doesn't work. I have a playbase connected by optical to my tv.

Thank you very much.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jusalq.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in doing these steps.

If I understand it correctly, Sonos is responding with Volume up and down, it’s a bit odd because it means Sonos is receiving the IR signal from the remote.

Is the ‘Mute’ function not working only on Sonos speaker, how about with the TV, and other devices that it was programmed? 

What is the Sonos product, and the type of cable connected on the TV?

After the remote configuration, have you programmed it also with Sonos through the app?

Within the Sonos app, under Room Settings for the home theater speaker, select the TV tab, and click on Remote Control Setup

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hi, 

I have done from the beginning one more time and mute doesn’t work with the lg magic remote.

I have tried desactivating simplink, with Philips as the manufacturer, Sonos and it doesn't work anyway.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jusalq.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post and I’d be glad to assist you from here.

You may try to reproduce the settings you used in the beginning for there may have just been a change.

Also if the firmware has been updated in the remote that may have removed whatever settings were once compatible.

This article can help for it contains the configuration to Use an LG Magic Remote with Sonos home theater speakers.