Answered

Legacy system will not restart without mobile device.

• 10 July 2020
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

When the mandated controller update to s1, my legacy system was lost.  Connect x4, Play 3 x2, Bridge.  Support says that I must use a mobile device to start a new system.  I am not going to buy a cell phone just to listen to my HiFi systems. Suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Hornet305 11 July 2020, 00:59

An inexpensive Android Tablet or Amazon Fire Tablet should work. Just make sure you get an OS version that’s fairly recent. In the Fire line I’d get at least an HD 8. I’m using a Samsung Tab A (2019 version) with 32Gb RAM. Just make sure you don’t let Sonos update it to the S2 app after you install the S1 app. (Turn automatic updates off)

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

An inexpensive Android Tablet or Amazon Fire Tablet should work. Just make sure you get an OS version that’s fairly recent. In the Fire line I’d get at least an HD 8. I’m using a Samsung Tab A (2019 version) with 32Gb RAM. Just make sure you don’t let Sonos update it to the S2 app after you install the S1 app. (Turn automatic updates off)

Thanx for the ideas Hornet. 

But in case my tone wasn’t evident:  They didn’t consider us early-adopters and did not bother to write code for backward compatibility.  I trusted SONOS enough to drive ~ $50k vintage HiFi set-ups.  The early Controllers could re-start a system with a few clicks.  If they would have mentioned that every user must have a cell phone on roll-out of S1-2, I would be on the land line the next day telling them to come get their stuff.

Yes, I am the last human on Earth without a cell phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I am confused, you don’t have a phone, so I assume you are using a Mac or a PC to control your existing Sonos system. So what exactly is the problem?

Hi controlav

I’ve been using a PC controller from the start.  When they updated the PC Controller, it dropped the entire system.  But the S1 PC controller will not restart a new system.  You need a mobile device to start a new system. (Support’s position)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So if you have zero S1 devices now, then you must have some S2 devices set up and the PC S2 app should work fine.

I don’t see why you need to setup a new system, unless you factory reset everything. It sounds like all your S1 devices were migrated to S2, so the S2 app should be able to find and use them, as it was the one who upgraded them in the first place.

The system half-half s1/s2

The system was factory reset on Support’s advice.

The system is now dead until SONOS provides a non-mobile-device requirement controller.