Answered

Latest version controller can't find system

• 5 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 21 replies
Up until today, when I updated the Controller on my Win10 machine, I've had no issues. The Controller worked fine and the rest of the system worked fine.

My Sonos speakers are on a separate VLAN from my machine. I have a Virtual IP with a NAT 1:1 mapping set up so that my machine appears to be on the same VLAN as the speakers. Now the machine can't connect to the speakers any more. Something has changed in the Windows version of the Controller. What is it that changed?

More detail:
Win10 Machine on VLAN 2
Sonos speakers on VLAN3
Router running PFSense 2.4.3_1 (latest release, no changes recently)
Virtual IP (IP Alias) on VLAN3
NAT 1:1 Mapping from machine's static IP on VLAN2 => Virtual IP on VLAN 3

As I said, this all worked fine until I updated to the latest Controller software and that was the only change anywhere on the network. Controllers on VLAN3 all work OK, speakers all function normally. I just can't connect from VLAN 2 through the Virtual IP/Mapping setup as before.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.
icon

Best answer by controlav 12 September 2018, 06:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
Does no one from Sonos read these forums? Or do you have to create a ticket to get info?

I was able to fix the problem. In case anyone else is wanting to run Sonos on different VLANs, here's what you have to do:

Apparently the last update reset the controller. It probably found and re-added it automatically if your machine is on the same network and VLAN. But if not, you have to put your machine on the same VLAN as Sonos. Then reset the controller and let it find the Sonos system. Then shut down the controller, put your machine back on your regular VLAN, and restart the controller. It should be able to connect to the Sonos system on the other VLAN once again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sonos don't officially support multiple LANs. I think the assumption is that if you know how to set up multiple VLANs you are capable of figuring out what happens if it doesn't work. Which you did.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is a work-around for the problem that the router is filtering connections between VLANs that Sonos uses to configure the system. While it works it will need to be re-done at the next update while figuring out the router configuration should be a one-time thing.