Latest Update for S1?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello all, within the last week my app has pinged up there is a new update (even though auto update is turned off).

What exactly does the new update address?, has anyone updated yet.

It's also really annoying the certain settings are now "ghosted out", just because it's sniffed an update.

Is there any way to stop this happening in the future (blocking access at the router etc?).

16 replies

Hi. They are ghosted out probably.because your app has updated to 14.12 but your system is still on 14.11 so you have an inconsistency. You presumably still have automatic updates enabled in your app store. Turn that off and you won't have this issue in future.

Edit.sorry those are S2 versions but the principle applies 

I have and there is no apparent effect to worry about, it is now 11.5.

The ghosting out has probably happened because your phone has auto updated the controller to 11.5.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've found out it is Google Play Store that is updating the App, turned update off for Sonos now via Google Play.

Hope 11.5 is a lot less troublesome than what the S2 guys have been putting up with!.

I've found out it is Google Play Store that is updating the App, turned update off for Sonos now via Google Play.

Hope 11.5 is a lot less troublesome than what the S2 guys have been putting up with!.

Isn’t that essentially a phone setting?

I have seen no issues with 11.5 and I suspect that the S2 issues are the usual glitches attributable to user networks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

They've detuned the Sub on S2, nothing network related.

They've detuned the Sub on S2, nothing network related.

Are you suggesting that my Sub that is on S1 will sound different than a S2 Sub will when bonded to a play 1 pair on S2? That is very unlikely. 

And the quoted from another thread on the same subject looks more plausible, taking into account what the release notes say:

I will say that after running the update and retuning with Trueplay, I noticed a difference in the audio quality all around. Before I wasn’t as impressed with the audio and more so the dialogue clarity compared to previously having the Beam Gen 2. Watching the same show that is in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio format, pre-update and post-update I have noticed a difference in the audio quality. Dialogue is definitely better, but also the balance of the audio all around. I did notice that I had to turn up the volume slightly higher than before, as others have mentioned but still no higher than 54-56 volume for me. I haven’t had issues with my Arc + Sub Gen 3 setup at all. The sub and bass in general still sounds really good to me. 

Bold added by me for emphasis.

As to Sub sound quality, I can’t see Sonos tinkering with a good and established product like the Sub. If they do that, one could legitimately ask for a refund, because the sound is no longer the one bought.

It is possible that something done to Arc voicing as the release notes say, is making changes in the Sub when bonded to the Arc, but unlikely. The Arc changes may be making that just seem to be the case.

PS: But if I am at all wrong, that is yet another reason to stay on S1 and not be victim of Sonos faffing around with my system, changing the way it sounds. For sure Sonos will not expend resources to do this on S1 kit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It was related to the Sub when bonded with the ARC, just making sure they haven't made the same mess on S1 with the Playbar 5.1 setup.

I nearly bought an ARC 2 weeks ago but no chance now.

If you say the sound is the same after 11.5 then I'll be doing this update and hopefully that is the last one.

Shame there is no Change-log from Sonos, last time they listed what the S1 update was for was last year, been a few since then.

None of my kit includes any bar like device though; but I still think you will see no change, simply because all that Sonos is now doing to S1 is security updates and, less likely, bug fixes.

Which is also why they are not issuing release notes, no resources expended to do this, and not necessary too, if that is all that is being done.

So, I’m having problems with the S1 app.  Worked fine until the s1 app updated 2 weeks ago.

All the bottom control menu went grey and the App doesn’t appear to be able to see the internet.

It can see my Play1 and my Connect Amp. But I cannot send a diagnostics report. Called Sonos support and they had my running around for over an hour unplugging and re plugging devices, using Ethernet connections etc. but it is the app.

Dear @sonos please fix the bug in the app.

Currently running an iPhone 7, all updated on IOS 15.6.

So, I’m having problems with the S1 app.  Worked fine until the s1 app updated 2 weeks ago.

All the bottom control menu went grey and the App doesn’t appear to be able to see the internet.

It can see my Play1 and my Connect Amp. But I cannot send a diagnostics report. Called Sonos support and they had my running around for over an hour unplugging and re plugging devices, using Ethernet connections etc. but it is the app.

Assuming each one of your Sonos devices are showing in ‘About My System’ as running on v11.5 (build 571231030), then perhaps try resetting the S1 App from ‘Settings/App Preferences’ and connecting back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system and see if that fixes it.

Usually, items ‘greyed out’ means that there’s some sort of version mismatch between the software running on the speakers, and the software running on the controller device. 

Interesting. It is weird that the app cannot even send a diagnostics report though. I wonder what would cause that?

Assuming each one of your Sonos devices are showing in ‘About My System’ as running on v11.5 (build 571231030), then perhaps try resetting the S1 App from ‘Settings/App Preferences’ and connecting back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system and see if that fixes it.

Yes, we tried that. And reset the app. No difference.

Not being able to send a diagnostic is pretty good evidence of some sort of network issue. Common fixes are removal of virus protection (temporarily) , VPNs or office imposed network setups, or even just issues with something in the router. At the very least, I’d suggest a simple reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of the Sonos devices, just to force them all to have ‘clean’ versions of the running software. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've got another Sonos One coming and after that has been installed I can hopefully lock it all down and call it done.

Not being able to send a diagnostic is pretty good evidence of some sort of network issue. Common fixes are removal of virus protection (temporarily) , VPNs or office imposed network setups, or even just issues with something in the router. At the very least, I’d suggest a simple reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of the Sonos devices, just to force them all to have ‘clean’ versions of the running software. 

I will give it a go