Latest controller app and old android devices?

• 25 January 2018
  • 10 replies

Badge +2
My main phone broke recently so as a stop gap till I can afford a new one I have gone back to using my old HTC desire of about 8 years vintage. This runs a lowly version 2 of android. I also have a sightly newer tablet that runs v4. The sonos app wont work on these devices it says it isn't compatible and that I should upgrade my operating system. This is obviously not possible.
How can I operate my sonos with these older devices. It is currently sitting there dead as I cant use it. Is there an older version of the sonos app that I can download to use on these devices even if it doesn't have all the modern functionality so at least I can turn the system on and off an select something to play?
Thanks.
Keith.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There is only the latest version of the app available. You need Android 4.3 higher now. Have you looked on the Google Play store for a 3rd party app, it may give you limited functionality.

Otherwise buy a cheap tablet, such as an Amazon Fire, I did that, cost £30 and works fine as a standby controller . Even if you did find an old version it is likely the speakers are on a higher HW version so you'd get all sort of potential issues.
As smartphone and tablets evolves it becomes really important for Sonos users to have some version of the Sonos app which could run on old devices.
Many users invest on wall tablets and hardware which are difficult to change when Sonos software upgrades. I believe Sonos should publish some kind of ‘lite’ version of the sonos controller app with basic functionality ( ex: volume / play / pause / group / ungroup / select music ) to ensure backward hardware compatibility.
Third party apps might be there or not, but nothing would be like a native app from the manufacturer.
Badge
Sonos just pulled an Apple....
I believe Sonos should publish some kind of ‘lite’ version of the sonos controller app with basic functionality ( ex: volume / play / pause / group / ungroup / select music ) to ensure backward hardware compatibility.

Actually, there already is such a mode. You'll enter it anytime there's a software version discrepancy between your Sonos system build and your controller.
I believe Sonos should publish some kind of ‘lite’ version of the sonos controller app with basic functionality ( ex: volume / play / pause / group / ungroup / select music ) to ensure backward hardware compatibility.

Actually, there already is such a mode. You'll enter it anytime there's a software version discrepancy between your Sonos system build and your controller.
But that is a ´mode´if you have the app installed and only for ´some´ issues, the problem with old OS versions, ex. old android is that app do not install at all and latest app for such OS versions stop working with Sonos ( do not fall into ´special legacy mode´ as it might be ideal )
Yep - just happened to me. Tried to upgrade Android OS but "device too old". This is inexcusable - told by Samsung to buy another tablet - presumably then throw away perfectly serviceable device into landfill just because vendors [and I include Sonos] have no respect for users on older kit. There must be '000's of prior version Android users who have now just been cast aside by this culture ...
Exactly the same happened to me. Android OS update did not help either. I'm stuck with a 3-year old tablet - like new as I only used it as Sonos controller- and now it does not function anymore due to Sonos software update. Sonos shame on you.
I have just had my wife complaining because of the same thing. Her perfectly functional (but old) mobile phone is her primary controller for our Sonos system and it now cannot be used, she only wants to be able to select her favourites, change volume, and then turn off again. It would be great if Sonos could release a Sonos Light app that had the most basic functionality, and will work on older android versions.
I have downloaded and set up an app called Yonomi which provides basic functionality on older versions of Android. Recommend this app for others in this situation, just a shame that Sonos cannot do this themselves.
I see that I am not alone with having a tablet running Android v4. My wife uses her Samsung tablet to read ebooks and control the Sonos speakers in out house. Now, after the recent Sonos app update she cannot access the Sonos speakers. Why would the Sonos app install an update onto an OS version that it is not compatible with? Somebody should be fired at Sonos based on the number of other users in the same situation. This is simply not an acceptable way to run a business. And, then to have the nerve to say that we each need to purchase a new tablet just so that we can use the latest Sonos app to control our Sonos speakers? My wife's tablet is perfectly usable otherwise as is her phone which also runs Android v4.

Of course, we all just get to vent our frustration here knowing that we will NEVER, EVER get a reply from anybody at Sonos.
Badge

Only true until they totally pull the rug out from under you like they did for Android 4.4 and soon for 6. Sonos isn't the only game in town now so alienation of their long term customers will bite them in the ass eventually. I have a now useless tablet bought specifically for my wife to use as a controller and now I'm told my phone won't be supported and it's my only other controller option and I will sell my 3’s and subwoofer and my Connect rather than get forced into buying new devices because of Sonos short sightedness.

Sonos, give us the option to lock our speakers at this code level.