Kindle Fire HDX 13.4.5.5.3 Sonos controller says operating system is out of date

• 6 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello,

I have a Kindle Fire HDX 3rd generation running the most current operating system, 13.4.5.5.3 which was just installed February 23rd 2019. When I try to run the Sonos controller app, it says "The software on this device is out of date". I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and also did a soft reset with no joy. I guess the HDX could no longer be supported like the old ipads, but Amazon is still releasing updates for it as recently as February. I just recently pulled this from the drawer becuase the size makes it easier to take on the train than my 8" Kindle.

Any help would be appreciated. I ran a diagnostic from the controller on the HDX, but think that is about my system, not the controller, but just in case I am wrong, the number is

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Hi, same issue, same model Kindle with latest update 4.5.5.3 I have 2 old Kindles I have used as controllers since last year. All fine, no issues until latest Sonos update installed yesterday. Anybody out there know why? Does Sonos no longer support :? Any info. welcome .
Have Kindle Fire HDX runing latest op system - Fire OS 4.5.5.3. Appears I have the same error msg and have tried fixes mentioned above. Also any - all info to get my HDX running again would be appreciated
Userlevel 2
Same issue here. Highly annoyed at this point.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Same here. Fire HDX with the latest OS from Amazon, latest Sonos controller says it is out of date.
Annyoing to be sure. Hopefully, this is an oversight. Feedback from Sonos would be nice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not a Kindle Fire expert, but I thought the 3rd gen Fire HDX devices were discontinued by Amazon in 2015, and are stuck on Fire OS 4.5.5.3 from (at least) a couple of years ago, whereas the current Fire OS version for newer tablets is 6.x.

Fire OS 4.5.5.3 does not meet the current requirements for the Sonos app [1]. This is consistent with the treatment of other platforms: Sonos drops support a couple of years after the manufacturer ceases its own support.

[1] https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US
Userlevel 1
Badge
Amazon told me the software is up to date and my latest update is 7 February 2019 - definitely not 2015! - a couple of months from an update not a couple of years - and yet Sonos seem to have turned off the app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Amazon told me the software is up to date and my latest update is 7 February 2019 - definitely not 2015! - a couple of months from an update not a couple of years - and yet Sonos seem to have turned off the app.

Amazon is providing updates, but the underlying OS is Android 4.4 - which is no longer supported by Sonos.

It's not clear why Sonos does this (block old apps from working) as the app is JUST a controller. Some additional context: Sonopad, a third party iOS controller still works with current 10.x Sonos going back to ios7.

Anyway, the cost of Sonos ownership includes updating control hardware every few years, that's just the way it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Fire OS 4.5.5.3 was actually released in 2017. Earlier this year Amazon provided a new release with the same version number, but a different build number, presumably because there was some egregious issue with the original build. I'd consider this an anomaly, and not indicative of ongoing support, but you are free to disagree.