Question

Kill switch for app updates?

• 1 November 2017
  • 27 replies

Since when should Sonos get to decide that a perfectly functional version of the iPhone controller will no longer work? And then have the site undergo maintenance so that it doesn't direct you to the App Store for the update. What it for some reason you don't have a connection? What if you were simply planning to listen to your own music on your own system, all of which you have paid for with your own money. I want Sonos to make it possible to say "LATER" to the update screen and let me go about my business. This intervention in my personal life and enjoyment of my property is unacceptable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I want Sonos to make it possible to say "LATER" to the update screen and let me go about my business. This intervention in my personal life and enjoyment of my property is unacceptable.

Not at all overly dramatic
How about turning off automatic updates in your app store as I have done? Or are you objecting to even being notified?
I want Sonos to make it possible to say "LATER" to the update screen and let me go about my business. This intervention in my personal life and enjoyment of my property is unacceptable.

Not at all overly dramatic
Indeed. The expression 'first world problem' could have been coined for this one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Not at all overly dramaticIndeed. The expression 'first world problem' could have been coined for this one.

You guys are missing the point here, and that's people expecting to be in control of their own property.

We did not rent our sonos equipment we bought it. The 8.1 update bricks that equipment until we upgrade our controllers which is not acceptable, as it's the technical equivalent of holding someone hostage until you pay a ransom.

It really doesn't matter if this is nicely buried somewhere in the t&c and that is not a live or death situation.

This is about a corporation violating our trust and forcing us to downgrade our product experience which is - besides being morally and ethically questionable - inevitably an emotional event. And the reactions on this forum are accordingly.
I'm afraid comparing a software update to a hostage/ransom situation is not going to help you explain your point to people who already think you are being over dramatic. Nice try, though! :8
How about turning off automatic updates in your app store as I have done? Or are you objecting to even being notified?
Can you do this for just the android Sonos app? I can't see an option in the Play Store or on my phone...
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
In the Play Store app for the app in question, click the 3 dot menu at the top right - there is an "Auto-update" checkbox that would act on a per-app basis.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I'm afraid comparing a software update to a hostage/ransom situation is not going to help you explain your point to people who already think you are being over dramatic. Nice try, though! :8

As extreme as it may sound, it's a metaphor that's used in business to refer to this exact kind of situation. It's no coincidence in this regard that several people referred to themselves as (ex-)loyal customers.
https://blog.startquestion.com/understand-customer-loyalty-with-the-apostle-model-618f50dd7423

Agreed though, not sure if it'll convince the fanboys, aka apostles. My hope is more to get a message through that thick skull of the product manager responsible for this stunt by using a language he or she should understand.
In the Play Store app for the app in question, click the 3 dot menu at the top right - there is an "Auto-update" checkbox that would act on a per-app basis.
Thanks - I still can't find it when accessing the Play Store via a web browser on a PC, but eventually found the menu on my phone. Does the setting apply for the app, or per device? i.e. do I need to change setting on all devices that might be used?
Since when should Sonos get to decide that a perfectly functional version of the iPhone controller will no longer work?

The app is freeware. You didn't buy it, so really, Sonos could do whatever it wants with the app software. What you bought was the speaker product. I'm not saying it's good business to mess around with the app, but acting like Sonos is messing around with your property is incorrect.

But as others have pointed out, it doesn't work like that anyway. You do not have to update your software, it's just highly recommended. Eventually, connected features, like music services, will stop working, as they have upgraded themselves.

This is about a corporation violating our trust and forcing us to downgrade our product experience which is - besides being morally and ethically questionable - inevitably an emotional event. And the reactions on this forum are accordingly.

"downgrade our product experience" is a relative term. Clearly, Sonos thought the upgrade would improve the customer experience overall. In fact, there were many people on this forum complaining about the previous version of the app. Those people would argue that it was morally and ethically questionable to NOT upgrade the app. Which one of you is the moral authority.

I'm sure the perfect solution would appear to be allowing each user to pick which version of the app they want to use. Again, that doesn't work as you end up having to support each version of your software for life. Bugs that you fixed in newer version never really go away. It's a nightmare for all involved.

It really is helpful to let Sonos know what you like and don't like about their products. They do listen. However, claiming that they're decisions are a moral outrage doesn't really add any weight to your wishes.
Nobody's system has been 'bricked'. People are entitled to dislike the new app, to consider it inferior to and more difficult to use than the previous version. But it took me very little time to find my way around it and I am using it.

Your system is only bricked if you choose it to be so.

In any case, the original post was about control over app updates,the thread has been hijacked by the app bashers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The app is not some nice to have as it's critical to be able to control the hardware.

And with 8.1, they did force an upgrade. As several have posted, our 7.4 apps simply stopped working and told us to upgrade instead https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/please-go-back-to-the-last-app-the-update-sucks-so-bad-6791742/index3.html#post16160787

That sonos did this after the negative feedback on 8.0 is the key point here, as they were already aware that quite some people were dissatisfied with the new design when they did it.

And in regards to taking feedback into account. I still have to see a post in which they actually acknowledge the issues and commit to addressing them. And that same goes for everyone else venting their frustration with the new 'design'
Does the feedback posted here make it's way back to the management at Sonos? I sure hope so.

It absolutely does. We make sure to pass up everything to the right teams, all the way to the top.

We appreciate the feedback, and the criticism too. We're working on the new controller in several ways.

There have been numerous such posts, on several threads
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
That's an empty statement, especially if you follow it up with a forced upgrade. If anything, it shows how little you value that feedback.
That's an empty statement, especially if you follow it up with a forced upgrade. If anything, it shows how little you value that feedback.Laughable. I won't trouble you with the facts any further
That's an empty statement, especially if you follow it up with a forced upgrade. If anything, it shows how little you value that feedback.

Pretty sure that Ryan's statement was made after the upgrade. If that not specific quote, I know it's been said since.

As John pointed out, the fact that you assume details in order to support your narrative that Sonos is immoral and unethical shows that you're more interested in pushing your narrative that dealing with the truth.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Laughable. I won't trouble you with the facts any further
Of course, all the fact based critique we've seen here the last weeks is invalid because sonos can't do anything wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
And in regards to taking feedback into account. I still have to see a post in which they actually acknowledge the issues and commit to addressing them. And that same goes for everyone else venting their frustration with the new 'design'

see here
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/now-available-the-new-sonos-app-6791306/index7.html#post16153402

Certainly. We're listening and continue to pass on feedback to the development team. They've been hard at work for a long time on this app, and this version is just the first public edition, there will be more revisions to come. The current app is a foundation, so make sure you share your feedback and suggestions. I don't have any details that I can share on what's up next, but I think it addresses many of the largest criticism so far. We look forward to hearing what you guys think when the next version comes out. I don't have a timeline to share on when that one is launching since they're still looking at feedback and working on incorporating it.

thats as close as you're probably going to get until whatever changes they have in the pipeline are rolled out.
Laughable. I won't trouble you with the facts any further
Of course, all the fact based critique we've seen here the last weeks is invalid because sonos can't do anything wrong.

You do realize there is significant ground between "immoral and unethical" and "can't do anything wrong", right?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
We can debate semantics and word choice, if it's morally questionable or just questionable, etc , but that doesn't change the facts.

The dissatisfaction with 8.0 resulted in people going back to the 7.4 controller. And despite that backlash sonos launches an 8.1 which forces them to upgrade..Turn and twist it how you want, that's just not acceptable
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The dissatisfaction with 8.0 resulted in people going back to the 7.4 controller. And despite that backlash sonos launches an 8.1 which forces them to upgrade..Turn and twist it how you want, that's just not acceptable

I was also somewhat surprised by that, given how the new app as not excatly been well received by many and those savvy enough had 'downgraded' again. I have a mix of IOS and Android controllers and I'd rolled back the android ones to 7.4. On updating IOS version from 8.0 to 8.1 to see if any small improvements had been made on IOS, the android controllers were put into a forced update screen where 7.4 would no longer run. This 'feature' (to force an update rather than just limiting certain functions) must have therefore been present already in 7.4 but Sonos chose to trigger it in the 8.1 release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Have sonos said they forced an update?
I was forced to go v8.0, I assumed as I hadn't accepted the privacy agreement before it.
I was not forced to go to v8.1, but I did for the hell of it 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
No, they didn't say so, they simply did. So if you went back to 7.4 you got to see this the moment 8.1 kicked in
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/please-go-back-to-the-last-app-the-update-sucks-so-bad-6791742/index3.html#post16160787

nicka99 describes perfectly how you wind up in that forced upgrade scenario, and if you add in other household members it's practically inevitable.
The app is freeware. You didn't buy it....
The Sonos software comes as part of the Sonos 'system', so in effect you're paying for it. How many speakers would they be able to sell without the software?
I am nearly done with the endless app and software updates. i also totally resent having to set up a Sonos account. Please 1, make this stuff EASY TO USE 2. Stop asking to set up accounts 3. Stop updating the &*(&*Q£$ software .... PLEASE. I will soon not be recommending Sonos to others. You have taken something easy simple and beautiful and made it nasty and complex. Nearly as bad as Apple .....