keyboard "Play" button only works if desktop controller has focus

• 2 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
I use Spotify but prefer a lot of things about the Sonos app (I use Windows 7 and desktop controller)--like the fact that it only has one queue. Unfortunately, Spotify integration with Sonos is poor, but I might live with that except for one thing. I use the "play/pause" button on my keyboard to turn on and off the music. For Windows Media Player, the old Zune/Groove apps, and the Spotify app, it works as expected--when I hit pause, it pauses, and the app doesn't have to have focus. But the Sonos desktop controller doesn't handle that keypress unless it's the foreground app. I'm a programmer, so I know when you say "it's only software" that doesn't mean it's easy... but this is so small I wish they would fix it!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, AbigailFair. Thanks for posting and for sharing your feedback. As an avid video gamer myself, I can see the benefit in the Sonos Desktop app using the shortcut keys built into some keyboards. I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!
Badge
Awesome! Here's a similar request: https://en.community.sonos.com/community-feedback-229090/pc-keyboard-media-key-integration-6794483
Hi there, AbigailFair. Thanks for posting and for sharing your feedback. As an avid video gamer myself, I can see the benefit in the Sonos Desktop app using the shortcut keys built into some keyboards. I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!

*push* ;)
Is there a chance, that this feature will be implemented?
Probably slim, given their recent de-emphasis on the desktop controllers. But we can hope.
Here's a workaround for all people using spotify. Just install Spotify on your machine and open it. Spotify will take care on your multimedia keys on keyboard. Given that you listening music with spotify on your sonos boxes and the services are connected (sonos boxes has to be shown in spotify...)