iTunes Playlists - Folder / Playlist issue - just shows list of tracks in Sonos and not playlists.

• 30 September 2013
  • 21 replies

iTunes Playlists - if in a folder in itunes, Sonos lists all the tracks within folder and not playlists for each album, e.g. a folder type structure. iTunes Playlists - Folder / Playlist issue - just shows list of tracks in Sonos and not playlists.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Very frustrating indeed. I'm often resorting iTunes on my Mac Mini to find the playlist I want. Given the ease of use of the Sonos system this must be something they can address.
I agree.  I have folder '2013' with 20 albums in.  When I open folder in Sonos it just lists all the tracks in the folder and not by playlist album.
Same here. I use playlist folders a lot, I have a 64GB iPhone, mostly for music. Right now, all playlists are mixed...
Agreed - I use folders heavily in iTunes, sometimes nesting 4+ levels (for example, Classical Composers:Beethoven:Piano Sonatas:Vladimir Ashkenazy), and it is too bad that all that info and convenience goes through the compactor and gets flattened and lost on Sonos. Sure I could duplicate some of the functionality by searching, but those folders and playlists are organized and ordered the way I like it - why throw that all away? The Sonos UI is otherwise so good...
Same problem here - surely a really really simple fix for Sonos??
I agree.  
Hello Sonos,
This seems to be a common issue. I am a new user and I am finding the same frustration. Folders really need to be created and also the ability to list albums (like spotify). I have at least 50 albums in Itunes and spotify and it is so messy in sonos. 
Seems like this haven't been fixed. Please support this idea!
Badge +1
+1 to this.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I just wanted to open up this discussion again, This would be great if someone could find a work-around.... I have an over 300GB iTunes Library that has just about 390 albums. The only way I can keep organized is by iTunes Playlist and Folder Hierarchy. If anyone has any work arounds to this, please share.

And also, Sonos, please 😳 put this on your to-do list.... If we would get a way to have our folder hierarchy be displayed in the Sonos App, I will shout for joy! 😛
Userlevel 1
I'd like to add to this chorus. Love the service but it's clearly designed for people who like individual songs as opposed to albums. Playlists should be nested at the very least as an option, similar to iTunes. At this point, I mostly just browse in iTunes and then queue the selection in Sonos, as the current searching system is useless for large libraries.
Badge +1
+1 for this.
And one more. This really is a BUG that needs to be fixed. Playlists simply don't import correctly if they are in folders.
Agreed with all the above. I have just purchased some Sonos speakers and find this completely ridiculous that they can't implement such a simple system.
I have all my music organised in playlists and folders in itunes but if I access these playlists through sonos via the "imported playlists" tab then all the playlists are just listed in a huge line rather than in the carefully organised and structured folders and sub folders that I had on itunes. this is extremely annoying and messy and lots of random playlists that I had organised away into sub folders, (some just numbered as they are within a more properly labelled folder) are all now just listed all together in a total mess.
please sort this out sonos, it really can't be that difficult to do to simply respect the itunes playlist folders as well as the actual playlists.
Adding my request here. I must have about 100 playlists. Neatly organised in iTunes but a never-ending scrolling disaster in Sonos.
...and mine. Just bought a Play5 and frankly think it is farcical that a premium product claiming to be "made for iTunes" lacks support for playlists in folders (and smart playlists for that matter).
Ditto. The SONOS software is quite lacking in the playlist department. This has been a missing feature for a long time now. Are the developers doing anything over there?
Just got a 5 and a 3. Love everything about it - except the lack of my iTunes playlist folders that I've invested 10+ years in maintaining. PLEASE add iTunes playlist folders! Plex does it.
+1 - it seems sort of insane that this isn't already supported in a system that theoretically lives/dies by its ease of use.
+1 to this. Ridiculous that this isn't supported. Spotify can manage to support importing playlist folders so surely Sonos can? Would just use Spotify, but that then won't play locally saved files via Sonos speakers because of some lame excuse about DRM (nor will it import smart playlists which Sonos WILL do!). SONOS and Spotify need to get their acts together on this. I just want to be able to play the iTunes playlists/music I already own via my (very expensive!) Sonos speakers. Never dreamt I wouldn't be able to do this when I bought them and certainly would have thought twice about doing so....
+ another one. This has been going on for long time and still no fix or response from Sonos. I am a long time user with multiple speakers. Very happy with system except for this issue of no folder system that now seems to be industry standard. Please, Sonos at least respond to the community here.
Hey! Try MusConv.com tool and move your playlist wherever you want! Spotify, Apple, Google Music, iTunes, Amazon, YouTube and more…