iTunes Playlist not Updating

• 3 January 2015
  • 12 replies

I have tired all the "solutions" I found here (Manage --> Update Music Library Now as well as deleting music folder and relinking from the settings tab). Neither is working. My playlists show up, but they are "older" versions (newly added music is not showing up).

For example, I have a playlist titled "Love it". In iTunes it contains 499 songs currently. I tried both updating and also deleting/relinking the entire music folder but the "Love it" playlist still contains the old number of songs that were in that playlist (434). It's like the music files are not truly being removed from Sonos when I delete the folder from the library and then link to it again.

I just verified that my iTunes Music Library XML file has a current date and there is only one iTunes Music Library XML file in my music folder.

A search in Sonos for songs I know are new (they are showing in iTunes on the "Love it" playlist and should have been added) are still not showing up.

I run Sonos off my PC and my music is stored on the hard drive of my laptop.

Diagnostic #: 4269342

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Christine,
I notice in your diagnostic data that there may be some confusion as to which folder Sonos is accessing for your music. Your computer is sharing both the iTunes folder and the iTunes Music folder. This could cause the Sonos system to index the wrong playlist file. Please head into the Sonos program on your computer, then choose the manage menu. Here you can choose music library settings. Next, click on the shared folder in the window and the remove it. Once gone, click the add button and choose the default option to share your music folder. This should ensure that your Sonos system indexes your full music folder which includes your iTunes folders.

If that does not work, please send us a new diagnostic number and we will investigate further.
Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested with no change to the above issue. It is interesting to me that even though I completely deleted the music folder when I added it back in, my playlist showed the exact same song (the last one playing before I deleted the folder) when it was done. I could see part of the main Sonos window (the player) as I deleted and added the folder and you would think the songs would have been deleted (the main window would have had no song listing) but they were not. I just sent fresh diagnostics: 4281277. I do appreciate your help. I'm wondering if I need to completely uninstall the player.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Christine,
Uninstalling the Sonos app will not change anything about the music share, it would just require you to reconnect your computer. So that we can get your playlists working correctly, we'd like to get you in contact with our phone team. Here's a ticket number: 150109-001741. Please give us a call and we'll get your iTunes playlists working. http;//www.sonos.com/contact.
Hi Christine,
Uninstalling the Sonos app will not change anything about the music share, it would just require you to reconnect your computer. So that we can get your playlists working correctly, we'd like to get you in contact with our phone team. Here's a ticket number: 150109-001741. Please give us a call and we'll get your iTunes playlists working. http;//www.sonos.com/contact.

I have the exact same problem. If you were able to resolve the problem for Christine, could you post the solution here?
Hi Scott

There could be several reasons your iTunes playlists aren't updating, but most often, it’s either that the music library isn’t pointing to the folder where the iTunes playlist file is located, or that the playlist file itself has become corrupted and Sonos is unable to index the file as a result. Shoot us a diagnostic and post the confirmation code. We'd be happy to have a look.
You nailed it. I had Sonos pointing toward a folder that had playlist files, but it must have been a backup from before an iTunes upgrade. Once I pointed at the correct folder, everything was working fine.

User error. PEBCAK. ID-ten-T failure.
Badge +1
I seem to be having the same problem that you are all describing here. Curiously, there are a folder in my iTunes folder called "Previous iTunes Library" - could that be part of the issue? I've updated some iTunes playlists and even when I update the music library from Sonos, the updated iTunes playlists don't seem to update on the Sonos side.
OMG - I have been having this problem with my SONOS for 4 years. None of my playlist updates have ever updated regardless of the number of times I have DELETEd or ADDed my music library.

SONOS - could you PLEASE develop a tool that finds the XML Playlist files and proposes to the user which one to use?
It can't be that difficult to sort this out for your users.

In my case, I have all my music on an external drive, but I think iTunes saves all the playlist info (as well as old music library back-ups) on the C drive.
OMG - I have been having this problem with my SONOS for 4 years. None of my playlist updates have ever updated regardless of the number of times I have DELETEd or ADDed my music library.

SONOS - could you PLEASE develop a tool that finds the XML Playlist files and proposes to the user which one to use?
It can't be that difficult to sort this out for your users.

In my case, I have all my music on an external drive, but I think iTunes saves all the playlist info (as well as old music library back-ups) on the C drive.

You can migrate your iTunes files to another drive. On a PC, you need to copy the 'iTunes Library.itl' and 'iTunes Library.xml' files to the new location, then start iTunes while holding down the Shift key. Select "Choose Library" then browse to the new drive and select the 'iTunes Library.itl' file you copied over.

On a Mac, it is the same procedure, except you hold down the Option key while you start iTunes
Thanks for your reply Jgatie,
Now I get an error that says: “There is not enough room to import all playlists. Please delete some playlists and update the music index.”
Hmmmm, could you please advise on a) Playlist limits and b) song limits?
Thanks
iTunes playlists are limited to 1000 playlists and 40,000 tracks total.
I have fewer Playlists (20) and fewer tracks (20,000)
Do you have any suggestions how to overcome this error?
Thank you