Issues in Google Play Music with speaker connection

• 9 September 2014
  • 14 replies

Hello Sonos community,

I have an issue with connecting Sonos speakers directly from the Google Play Music app (not the Sonos app). Sometimes after I connect a Sonos speaker I get the message that music can not be played. I then need to disconnect and connect again (and sometimes do this a third time). Only after this second or third try it works and streaming starts. Do you know this issue and can you help?

I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android) and all apps have the latest updates. I have Sonos bridge, Playbar and Play:1. Issue shows up for both speakers. Sonos Net is on channel 6 and router on channel 11. Connecting the speakers with Sonos app e.g. for radio works without issues.

Best regards
Wolfram

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Wolfram,

Could you please Submit a Diagnostic and send me back the number via this tread? I will have a look at it.

Thanks.

Pierre
Hello Pierre,

thanks for taking care. I submitted diagnostic directly after the error message in Google Play showed up. Number is: 4001140.

Best regards
Wolfram
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Pierre,

thanks for taking care. I submitted diagnostic directly after the error message in Google Play showed up. Number is: 4001140.

Best regards
Wolfram

Could you please try to power cycle the router, all your Sonos devices and then your android phone. then try again and let me know if you still experience the same issue.

Thanks.
Hello Pierre,

Best regards
Wolfram

Hello Pierre,

I did all the steps but still get the issue in Google Play Music. I submitted new diagnostic 4008649 after I got the error again and reconnected the speaker.

Best regards
Wolfram
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Pierre,

Best regards
Wolfram

Could you please try to switch the SonosNET to channel 1 and send me a new diagnostic? I see high wireless interference on the Wohnzimmer.

Thanks
Hello Pierre,

Best regards
Wolfram

Hi Pierre,

tried this but issue still persists. Again to say: Issue is only when connecting speakers from Google Play app. In sonos app everything works well.

New diagnostics: 4039921

Best regards
Wolfram
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Pierre,

Best regards
Wolfram

Do you have the same issues when you try to play music directly contained in the Phone (PlayTo)? 
Also could you please try to connect your phone to the SonosNET directly as explained HERE and try to reproduce the same issue? 

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Google Play Music (GPM) integration (which I use exclusively from within the Google Play Music Android app, ie. via the Cast/Connect To functionality) worked flawlessly and marvelously from when it first appeared until just a few weeks ago.

A few weeks ago I began to repeatedly get a similar error message to that described above. It occurred up-to-50% of the time whenever a new track tried to begin playing. The workaround was, from within the GPM app, to Disconnect from the Sonos device(s) and Connect(Cast) again. And to keep doing this each time the error occurred.

The error was so frequent that the GPM/Sonos combo became unusable and I pretty much stopped using GPM with Sonos. Having purchased my Sonos kit primarily to use with GPM, this was a little disappointing...

The manner in which the error occurred (and could be worked around) suggested to me there was an issue with either the Google Cast API itself or Sonos' use of the Cast API - if that's how the Sonos/GPM integration is implemented. Something was fairly consistently going wrong between the track selection at the Controller app and the Sonos Devices trying to act on that selection and serve up the selected track.

I'd stopped using the GPM/Sonos combo as a result, but trying things today I've yet to experience the error. So fingers crossed, the problem may have been fixed...

I'd changed absolutely nothing at my end to originally cause the problem, and I've changed nothing now the problem appears to have abated (hopefully!).

Thought I'd post so that the original poster knows they are (or were) not alone in experiencing this problem!

If the errors return, I'll look to post some diagnostics.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Oops! Spoke too soon...

GPM error message just now, when I attempt to play anything within the GPM app to a Sonos connected device:

"Music playback error.

Couldn't play the track that you requested."

Will look to post diagnostics next week when I have some time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Back at home and just had this problem occur again, "Couldn't play the track that you requested.".

Diagnostics 4068713.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
And again:

Diagnostics: 4068744
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Another instance; in this example, I've simply clicked on the track repeat icon prior to the playing track finishing, and when it comes time to repeat the track I get, "Couldn't play the track that you requested.".

Diagnostics: 4068765

Fear not, I shall not keep posting DIagnostics for this bug every time it manifests, but the frequency with which I'm experiencing this problem should illustrate how unusable the GPM / Sonos integration has become. GPM integration was the sole reason I bought a slug of Sonos kit earlier this year, and it worked flawlessly for a while. Now, it's a shambles.

I've changed nothing at my end, so it's over to you folks. Are you on the case with this?

Thanks!
Badge
Did anyone ever figure out this problem? I just started getting the same problem. Things had been fine for a couple of years.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Did anyone ever figure out this problem? I just started getting the same problem. Things had been fine for a couple of years.

Hey mha, we have replied to one of your other threads. You can find that thread here.