Issue with Music Library update in latest software update?

• 20 December 2021
  • 50 replies

My Music Library is refusing to update, on both scheduled and manually triggered.

This seems relatively recent. When I trigger a manual update, it says that my NAS drive is no longer available, despite it being able to browse and play music from it.

This is effecting all installs of my controllers, on Mac, PC, Amazon Kindle and Android Phone. I’ve got multiple Play:1, a Play: 3, and Connect and a Beam connected to the network.

I had thought about removing and trying to add the device again, but I’m concerned that it will just not find it.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi folks, just an update. Spent an hour with Sonos tech help today trying a bunch of stuff on the NAS configuration all to no avail. Raised a ticket with Synology but decided to delve into it tonight myself. Always fraught with danger of screwing up one of the hundreds of configurations. Nothing worked.

Last resort was to delete the mapped NAS and re-map it and hey presto that solved the problem! No idea why this was needed because as I said I could see all the files from my PC where the controller was running and I could play all the files using non-Sonos software. I’ve changed back all the NAS setting changes Sonos suggested and it is still good.

I have absolutely no idea why this should happen. I cannot prove it was the S1 11.2.13 update but it is the only thing I can put my finger on. Most annoying waste of 2-3 hours but thought I’d update to maybe help another user.

The NAS firmware last updated end of October so not that.

you may check the NAS advanced settings for DSM7 as mentioned here

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I had seen that and checked and I was already set at min 1, max 2.

Just adding my hat into the ring for having an old MyBookLive that worked perfectly with Sonos for over 10 years and stopped working recently in same way everyone has already mentioned. Sigh! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sorry to hear that, mate. I wasn’t going to update again, but will. My Synology stopped working again!

I’d reported before that making the NAS configuration changes referred to in various useful threads had not made any difference and the thing that had worked was disconnecting and re-mapping the drive. I think what happened was yes, that was final thing that got me going. What threw me was that I reset those configuration changes back to what they had been and was still playing music from my library fine but I suspect I still needed them, perhaps to add new tracks to the queue or only until the app was killed, or PC rebooted, I don’t know?

Anyway, the library was not being recognised again so I set about it a bit more methodically this time one step at a time and as referenced elsewhere the key change is enabling the NTLMv1 authentication under the File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others menu in the Synology settings. Like others I’m not happy that I am somewhat making the NAS more vulnerable but hey ho.

A bit embarrassed I had to revisit it but less overall effort as I knew where I was going.

hi @133133 just like to remind you that my Synology NAS configuration (see this post here) works well - today I upgraded also my SONOS App to version 14.0 - note that also the Sonos S1 Controller has been updated to version 11.3 - hope this helps

Another with this problem.

I have two Western Digital MyBookLive NAS units installed similarly in two locations. As of several months ago, I am no longer able to index the library for both. The error message: “The [drive name] is no longer available.” On one, I deleted the music library hoping I could add it back in, and am unable to do so, displaying the same error message.  On the other, I am able to run my FLAC files with no problem, but cannot index.The firmware has not changed for the NAS since 2015. I’m running S2 at both locations. 

Sonos tech support has not been able to resolve --- they are still working on it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a similar problem using a 3 TB Airport drive. The airport is in bridge mode and has been that way for 4 years. All has worked fine for my song library of >10,000 songs. Recently e.g. since January, my update process seems to run, but not update my list. I deleted the share, put it back in and ran indexing for about 8 hours. When it completed only about 25% of the files were indexed. All of the files are accessible from the MacBook Pro.

I’ve rebooted the drive, and my machine….no luck.

I remember reading somewhere that SONOS is sensitive to caps or characters in the share name. Renamed….still no joy.

I tried this based upon a prior suggestion, but could not see the data

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1400/status/tracks_summary

https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1443/support/review produced  a lot of information and a colorful signal strength chart, but nothing obvious for this issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Update:

I deleted the old share with the name TimeCapsule etc, with Timecapsule….90% of my files indexed overnight. I think there is some issue with using caps in the name other than the first letter.

Or maybe this is a giant coincidence after 3 days of trying..The difference in my previous attempts was to delete the share TimeCapsule first, then rename drive, then run again.

I think part of this issue is when I changed to a new router, I had to reenter the drive name and I introduced a capital letter in the middle of the name.

Hope this helps.

I have the same issue as described here. I have an asus zenwifi router with a seagate harddrive attached. My music library is no longer being found after updating sonos to v14.2. I get the “<path> not available” error, even though I can connect to the drive as before via SMB from my computer. Removing the library didn’t help; I can’t add it back at all now. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I deleted my old share and am now not able to index my 40k tracks without an error message saying "the drive has disconnected" or some such message. I spent two hours yesterday with support and they were unable to resolve it. I can select from the same network drive a folder that has 3.5k tracks and that has been indexed ok. I tried an old Synology Nas with SMB2 enabled and a duplicate of the 40k tracks and got the same error. 

These 40k tracks have remained unchanged as far as metadata is concerned.

Prior to my deleting and re indexing my share I was getting all sorts of weird behaviour like tracks jumping and playing the next one for a few seconds before finally playing a track all the way through and then continuing the playlist.

Something is broken in this latest update.

My case number was 03743480

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I have the same issue as described here. I have an asus zenwifi router with a seagate harddrive attached. My music library is no longer being found after updating sonos to v14.2. I get the “<path> not available” error, even though I can connect to the drive as before via SMB from my computer. Removing the library didn’t help; I can’t add it back at all now. 

Try just selecting a single folder from your networked drive and I suspect it will index ok and work.

This is the same way I have used my Sonos system for the last ten years, first with a ASUS n66 then XT8 Mesh (using Boost and therefore Sonosnet) with a simple WD 1gb Passport drive. This has been without issue up until now and a terrific way of using the Sonos system. I have changed nothing and now it does not work properly. I would suggest something is wrong in the Samba Share part of Sonos software.

Try just selecting a single folder from your networked drive and I suspect it will index ok and work.

This is correct. I just tried adding a small subset of songs from a directory on the same network hard drive (same volume, etc). They were added without any problem and I can play them on my sonos. I am still getting the “not available” error when I try adding all ~10,000 songs in my library.

Before updating the sonos software, I had no problems indexing the same files from the same harddrive. Something is wrong with the sonos software such that it drops the SMB connection when adding lots of files. 

The threshold for me seems to be about 1,100 files. When I add more than that to the directory, I get the “not available” error. When I delete back to that level, it works again. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

The threshold for me seems to be about 1,100 files. When I add more than that to the directory, I get the “not available” error. When I delete back to that level, it works again. 

Probably good to contact Sonos with that info as a way of escalating "our" problem. Your right the Sonos software appears to  disconnect the drive at a certain point in the indexing process when the track count is high. 

I used a 128 GB USB drive with 3500 tracks and it indexed ok.

Windows Explorer can browse to the Network Location with the 1tb drive connected and I can play any of the 40k files locally on my PC using Foobar2000.

Anyone who only streams music would never see this issue.

Something is definitely broken.

I too are having a similar problem with my Buffalo LS420D7D6 NAS.

After the upgrade in November indexing started to fail. I could still delete the Library details and re-enter them OK and the the library was created though.

My NAS was set to SMB v2 and therefore it defaulted to using SMB v1 to allow access. With the change to support v2 it must have started using that. Switching the SMB v2 support off on the NAS allowed the Indexing to complete without error. 

I think this s a problem with the SMB v2/3 integration in the controller software. Possibly a timing issue during re-indexing.

Think SONOS need to take a look at this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Any news on a fix for this indexing issue?

I have the same problem with my WD NAS, existing music plays but can't update the library. In trying to troubleshoot i managed to stop everything working and ended up going though a factory reset of all devices. 8 eventually managed to get the system back up running and the library updated with existing and new tracks. It all looked good and the tried adding some new music a couple of weeks later and the same problem is back. I could I guess try another factory reset but I shouldn't need to because Sonos have now had this problem for 3 months and still no fix. I did think this was great kit but I'm now starting to have my doubts. 

I’m running a Netgear NAS and have set the SMB protocol to version 3.0 on the library share and that’s working okay here. It doesn’t work for higher versions of the SMB protocol, as far as I can ascertain. So perhaps check the version in use.

Just as a reminder, if you’re using the Sonos operating system called S1, you should still use using SMB v1 and NTML v1.

If you’re using the Sonos S2 operating system, you can update your NAS settings to accept connections across higher versions of SMB and NTML.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I dug out my old ASUS RT-N66U Merlin Firmware router and using his version of SMB1 I was able to index the large library. Having purchased two ASUS XT8 as a major upgrade my only idea was to front end these two with a three band AiMesh router that could have Merlin's Firmware loaded so I have coughed up £400 for a GT-AX11000 and sure enough with standard firmware no indexing. Loaded the Merlin Firmware and I now have a system that works with the XT8s as AiMesh nodes.

It is obvious from these posts that the Sonos SMB1 implementation is not wholly compatible with a lot of systems.

I have asked Merlin what the difference is between his modified and ASUS SMB1 versions is but as yet have had no reply. 

Sonos support staff although helpful have not been able to resolve this issue for me and it looks like others.

To me this is just another example of Sonos leaving behind and losing the plot with their old customer base in the pursuit of endless streaming applications including their own.

When you take an honest look at the Controller Software it is just a clunky mess. Works yes - but a mess nevertheless!

The simple fact remains that there isn’t enough available memory on the hardware to update S1 with the Linux kernel that allows anything higher than SMB v1. Not sure that this is a ‘choice’ as much as a forced circumstance by older hardware that has restricted RAM and CPU. But then again, I don’t expect my ‘386 to be able to run Windows 11, either. 

It is obvious from these posts that the Sonos SMB1 implementation is not wholly compatible with a lot of systems

No that’s not the case. SMB1 has not been an issue, it’s more the case that the S2 App now supports upto SMB v3. SMB1 works on all, but is known for its vulnerability issues.

Sonos can’t implement higher versions of SMB on an S1 system because the Linux kernel on the ‘old’ players apparently does not support the higher versions, plus Sonos have mostly put the S1 system into ‘maintenance mode’, with just security updates and to try to keep the streaming services running on that system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

It is obvious from these posts that the Sonos SMB1 implementation is not wholly compatible with a lot of systems

No that’s not the case. SMB1 has not been an issue, it’s more the case that the S2 App now supports upto SMB v3. SMB1 works on all, but is known for its vulnerability issues.

Sonos can’t implement higher versions of SMB on an S1 system because the Linux kernel on the ‘old’ players apparently does not support the higher versions, plus Sonos have mostly put the S1 system into ‘maintenance mode’, with just security updates and to try to keep the streaming services running on that system.

It is the S2 app I am referring to. Maybe it does work fine on SMB2 or 3 but it is no longer happy with SMB1.

I just want something that used to work perfectly but no longer does. If it was just me I could accept that but from the posts others are having issues and not just with Synology NAS but the much simpler connecting a hard drive to an appropriate router that supports SMB1.

It is the S2 app I am referring to. Maybe it does work fine on SMB2 or 3 but it is no longer happy with SMB1.

I just want something that used to work perfectly but no longer does. If it was just me I could accept that but from the posts others are having issues and not just with Synology NAS but the much simpler connecting a hard drive to an appropriate router that supports SMB1.

I use a Netgear NAS that supports the following versions of SMB:

I have tried each SMB version listed with the Sonos S2 App and all work fine up-to version v3.0 - that includes SMB v1, so not sure why SMB v1 is not working on other devices? However…

Some NAS box SMB shares have other settings such as ‘Oplocks’ or Write options… ‘Preallocate/Strict Sync’, or even security settings such as ‘Restricting Anonymous’, ‘SMB Signing’ or ‘SMB Encryption’ - some of those settings may need to be disabled for SMB v1 to work on the share - so perhaps check any other settings that relate to the implementation of SMB on the storage device.