Question

Is Wyred 4 Sound's Sonos Connect upgrade worth it?

• 3 February 2017
  • 28 replies

I"m a budding audiophile, but also really like the convenience of my Sonos Connect. Has anyone tried the Wyred 4 Sound upgrade to their Sonos Connect, and if so, can they tell me their experience or results?

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified

As it's a $550 upgrade, I'm quite curious to know if it's worth it. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

As usually people on this forum are freaked out that something could better.
It's really obvious where Sonos' weakness are and the Connect is pretty lame for the price especially slice it has never been upgraded. Sonos just keeps milking those ancient products.
Are some of you really that insecure in your purchase that Sonos can do no wrong even when it's obvious how far behind they are in so many ways?
Are you so naive to be gulled in by marketing targeted to audiophiles?
There is a reason for the invention of the word "audiophools".
Badge
The Sonos Connect is a great piece of kit, but sound via the RCA outputs isn't the final word in audio. A $550 dollar 'upgrade' to it is insane though IMHO! Mine is connected via co-ax to my hi-fi via a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, which provides a definite improvement in sound over the stock RCA outputs, at a very modest price. The V90 is one of the best affordable DACs available, period. There's more detail and transparency, and better soundstaging and instrument placement with the external DAC vs the Connect's RCA outputs. I couldn't tell the difference between my current setup using 44.1/16 FLAC ripped CDs from a NAS and the original CDs played on a Resolution Audio Opus 21 2-box CD player, so I sold the CD player. I don't consider myself a 'golden-eared' audiophile - I have a very nice hybrid (tube preamp/transistor output) integrated amp bought second hand, modded a little by me and fitted out with better tubes. I build my own speakers (a good design made at home will wipe the floor with commercial products costing many times more), make my own interconnects and my own speaker cables. I like to try stuff out and won't keep something that doesn't sound better no matter how much it cost me. Some might argue that the Connect is limited by its 44.1/16 sample rate for lossless files, but I'm yet to be convinced of the difference in sound between CD quality and any of the so-called hi-res formats. Mathematically, the differences boil down to minute potential filtering artifacts. Audibly, I've yet to hear them....