Answered

is there going to be option to play music direct from android devices rather than have an external source?

is there going to be option to play music direct from android devices rather than have an external source?
icon

Best answer by Chris 27 August 2015, 04:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

157 replies

Nice, so this summer we will be able to stream music from our Android devices. Good to see.
This summer? Where do you get that impression from? John M didn't give any timeframe.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Nice, so this summer we will be able to stream music from our Android devices. Good to see.
I've been watching most feature requests over here for the last 1,5 years and switching it to planned usually ment I would take around 4 months to release a feature. I guess it could be quicker because they have got this feature allready working on iOS machines so they could use knowledge from that. A little wrap up, nobody said something about an ETA I just told my opinion based on earlier feature request. Sonos will never give you an ETA.
I know Sonos don't give ETAs, I've been an owner for a long time and the one thing I've learned is never make any predictions about how long a feature might take to arrive. People were asking for an Android controller for well over a year before it arrived.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is great news that I'm sure a lot of customers will really appreciate, and that many expect out of the box. Let's hope this can be rolled out quickly:-)
This is great news!! Perfect timing! I almost gave up on a Sonos purchase, as I was believing that Sonos was really an Apple only accessory, to reluctantly settle for an inferior speaker solution. In the meantime, whilst awaiting development to stream from Android device to multiple Sonos devices, at least I can still stream to single Sonos devices using third party apps, like BubbleUPnP or Twonky Beam, as mentioned on this forum. Wireless, networked and internet connected, Sonos provides an excellent solution. As an Android user, cannot wait to connect my Samsung devices to Sonos. I would also like to see Google Music or Amazon Cloud Music. It is most concerning that vendors and Sonos marketing imply that these are available, judging by customer feedback. Clearly if customers are being clearly misled, this would be an issue for Trading Standards. It would be useful, especially for first time buyers to be able to buy with confidence and have access to accurate marketing in-store and via website. Thank you.
Judging by the Trading Standards comment you're in the UK. The Sonos UK website (set your location at the top of the page) makes NO mention of Amazon Cloud support or Google Music, so I don't know why you think Sonos is mis-leading you.
Just that some other forum member (see letter to Currys) found that to be the case in vendor stores i.e Currys. Perhaps they do not clearly understand Sonos marketing. I stand corrected re Sonos website - thank you. Point is, that it is concerning if Sonos vendors are not marketing the product correctly or the info is inaccurate, in terms purchasing confidence.
I think that was more to do with setting up a phone so that it looked like it was playing wirelessly when it wasn't (probably just had an audio cable from the phone to the Sonos unit), rather than references to online services. I very much doubt Sonos would have been aware of what they were doing though (and I've never seen that myself, every demo system I've seen in a big store was playing in the manner I'd expect, from central storage such as a NAS or server).
The initial part of the forum entry referred to setup, but the end of the entry included email to Currys about misleading information on Google Music or Amazon Cloud Music, with a link to the misleading website. This is what I was referring to - I have also seen entries relating to misleading in store sales info at John Lewis relating to Android capabilities. Consistent sales and marketing info in-store and on-line can only be a good for users and ultimately Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I know just like going from the Android portrait to an Android Landscape(tablet) app. But overall other features over here took around 4 to 5 months from there status changed to planned to it being released(as beta). Nonetheless it could just as well take a year just like you said.
Congrats, please move fast!!!! We are all expecting it.
Userlevel 1
Personally I'd prefer if instead of just being able to play music from my device I could "pair" it over wifi to reproduce any of the sound that my device is playing (eg watching a youtube clip)
Userlevel 3
Think this feature is taking too long to implement!? Vote for this: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/implement_customers_good_ideas_more_quickly
Userlevel 2
Badge
This feauture should be available . From a business standpoint, I don't understand why SONOS would ignore the android market. .. the 3rd party apps can do it such as twonky, SONOS should be able to incorporate the capability..
This feauture should be available . From a business standpoint, I don't understand why SONOS would ignore the android market. .. the 3rd party apps can do it such as twonky, SONOS should be able to incorporate the capability..
It is marked "Planned", so it is definitely coming in a future release.
Userlevel 3
Good call Jgatie, and think of all the different operating systems there are. Easier to implement it on iOS because it only works on ios6. On android the are actively so many ppl using different versions
Android user here unhappy with lack of streaming service to Sonos devices. You stated it planned but no dates given? That is poor customer service and very short term. Surely a bracket date with a buffer in it in case you hit hurdles would be better than no direction. The lack of dates makes customers think you are not taking this seriously. A date would give people hope and encourage customers to be loyal and dissuade them from finding an alternative product. If the product is really planned you would have time lines for the development process. This situation of no rough date offered aggravated by incorrect marketing by yourselves and your distribution network is deterring me from remaining a customer. ..not just short term but long term!!!!! I remember being taught that an unhappy customer base causes more long term damage to sales than a happy one. Feedback would be appreciated. Sent from my Galaxy Android device!!!!!
Userlevel 3
Pretty stoked about this being planned. Of course, the sooner the better. But I'd rather Sonos make sure it's rock solid than rush out a quick fix. And if you're upset about no timetables being offered, name a company that tells you all the planned upgrades (that are free...all Sonos updates are), and give you specific timetables...
Completely agree that we should have some time lines. Of course companies do give some time lines also. Not all, but the good ones. Like the person two posts above says, software developer always have some project management time line so it should not be additional task to let users know. Of course there could be some disappointment should deadlines be not met, but 1. Users will not hold them against a knife for that and 2) new potential customers might go ahead and buy, knowing its coming soon. In any case, a great company is known for taking care of its customers and that helps it garner even more customers. Stop going Apple's snobbish way (learn from their mistakes) and listen to your customers. Even saying end of 2013 is better than making them wait so long. The bitterness of experience is usually enough to give advantage to competition. You're going well, become a great company by listening to customers. Even coca Cola had to drop the "new formula" coz of customers pressure. And even Toyota quickly turned around from its almost snobbery after Civic debacles. That keeps customers. We don't have much option other than your great products. So we will stick with you. But when we will, the customer experience will make most of the difference. What say?
Completely agree that we should have some time lines. Of course companies do give some time lines also. Not all, but the good ones. Like the person two posts above says, software developer always have some project management time line so it should not be additional task to let users know. Of course there could be some disappointment should deadlines be not met, but 1. Users will not hold them against a knife for that and 2) new potential customers might go ahead and buy, knowing its coming soon. In any case, a great company is known for taking care of its customers and that helps it garner even more customers. Stop going Apple's snobbish way (learn from their mistakes) and listen to your customers. Even saying end of 2013 is better than making them wait so long. The bitterness of experience is usually enough to give advantage to competition. You're going well, become a great company by listening to customers. Even coca Cola had to drop the "new formula" coz of customers pressure. And even Toyota quickly turned around from its almost snobbery after Civic debacles. That keeps customers. We don't have much option other than your great products. So we will stick with you. But when we will, the customer experience will make most of the difference. What say?
"Of course there could be some disappointment should deadlines be not met, but 1. Users will not hold them against a knife for that" HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! Ahem, sorry about that. "And even Toyota quickly turned around from its almost snobbery after Civic debacles." Do you mean Honda? Toyota don't make the Civic.
Oops. Camry. Not civic.
Userlevel 2
News to me. I just bought the playbar. I will not add components until an Android wireless playback is added.
Userlevel 1
Sonos is already DLNA "push" compliant. If you download Skifta for Android, you can push music from your Android device directly to any Sonos player. If you have a Samsung Android device I believe DLNA push is already built in - no need for Skifta. Of course, having it built in to the Sonos app will be even better.
Badge +18
Hi everyone, An open beta for the Android Controller is now available for sign-up at http://beta.sonos.com. All users are welcome to participate in the beta but please note you will be asked to sign and agree to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) during the duration of the program. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Dear John, About that BETA versions, there's a mention of a Prince - Public beta and an 4.1.1 open beta. I've taken part in the 4.1 beta. I'm joined to the Prince public beta(which is probably the 4.1 beta). But i'm unable to join the new 4.1.1 beta because I need to stop the Prince beta. What should i do?