Answered

is there going to be option to play music direct from android devices rather than have an external source?

is there going to be option to play music direct from android devices rather than have an external source?
icon

Best answer by Chris 27 August 2015, 04:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

157 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello Michael, I have moved this over to the Ideas section as it is not currently supported. This way, other users can also add their support for this feature.
I have just purchased my first sonos system and want to play music stored on my android phone. However, the sonos app isnt showing any music. Any ideas? This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Playing music stored on my android device.
I support this! My roommate can stream directly from her iphone to my sonos system and im jealous (galaxy s3). I hope this comes soon to android. Its only fair!
Hello Michael, I have moved this over to the Ideas section as it is not currently supported. This way, other users can also add their support for this feature.
Michael, this was just implemented on iOS which makes it logical to also implement for android (android community is huge). Will all iPhone updates be ported to android shortly thereafter?
Oops I meant Azur, not Michael
I support this - as Android is now overtaking iOS rapidly. Like other Android users, am not on iTunes or have any iOS devices. I am very keen to purchase a Sonos system if it could 1) stream music from Android phone or tablet (as it can with iPhone etc) - rather than from PC/laptop or network attached harddrive. 2) use as wireless soundbar/stereo speakers for smartTV rather than analogue line in (which is not available on Play 3, but available on Play 5 or higher.) Or provide wired digital connection at least on Play 3 / 5. Both of which have been raised seperately by current users. However, I note that Samsung phones, tablets and smartTV are all DLNA compliant. Would making Sonos DLNA compliant, not address both of the above in one go??
Me too... just bought the system and would dearly love to use music on my Samsung GS3 or Android Tablet without having to have the PC open which is sort of a pain... While you are about enable Google play please !!!
Question is self-explanatory. Android has a larger market share than IOS and this functionality on Android would be a distinct selling point. This is a significant limitation at present as I'm having to use Twonky server on my S3 to achieve, which is less than elegant. This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will "This Android Phone" appear on the Music menu similar to the "This iPhone" announcement today?.
I do not use iTunes and have no iOS devices, playing from my Android Phone or Tablet would be great! This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will I be able to play directly from an Android device soon?.
I was ready to drop some $ on this system until reading the fine print highlighted the fact that playing directly from my Android device is not supported. Any response as to future plans (particularly WHEN) for this capability? It's the difference between waiting patiently or looking for an entirely different solution.
When can Sonos make this happen? This is a very desired feature. I don't have an iOS device and would love to be able to stream music to my Play:5 and Play:3 without turning on my desktop.
Yep, this is weird, companies tend to focus on idevices when in reality android has by far the bigger piece of the market. I currently have 4 android tablets and 3 android phones in my house and ican't stream directly. I have to use a 3rd party app to achieve this. I support this request.
When is this coming to Android I just purchased this Sonos system and I think I am going to have to return it as it doesn't allow direct play from Android phones.
Another Android user here requesting support.
Hey Azur, This is not an idea it should be a basic THE ONE feature on this app, strange!!!. Because my android phone was not showing library from my phone on sonos controller I had to restart my mobile twice before searching on net to find this exclusion.
I was actually told in store by a Sonos rep that that it was possible to play directly from an android phone. I only found it wasn't when I tried to set it up today. That's Christmas Day, btw. Nice work, Sonos. Not only that, but there appears to be limited scope for a workaround by uploading my music given that there's no Amazon Cloud support in the UK (even though there is in the US?!) Google Play support would be better but, no, that obviously desirable feature is also missing! All-in-all, it looks like I'm going to have to take the thing back. Really, really disappointing. Honestly, isn't being able to play your own music without going through cables and PCs half the point of it???? Edit: Looks like you can get round this with Airplay/Doubletwist, but it's hardly ideal. Santa is not happy with you, Sonos.
I am also going to return Sonos tomorrow. I will wait to buy until it support controller's local file and hope it will support bluetooth as well. One more important issue is it should support all available radio stations app, which is not difficulty at all.
I am awaiting Android support from Sonos before purchasing. However, I have seen third party app 'Twonky Beam' used to stream audio to Sonos (and video to Samsung TV). On Youtube, there is a video under Twonky Mobile (replaced by Twonky Beam). Within Google Play, the screenshots for Twonky Beam show Sonos as device. Some users prefer BubbleUPnp to Twonky to do similar thing - both are free on Google Play. Probably, worth giving a go before returning Sonos, but agree this is a huge let down from Sonos given size of Android market.
Having standard Android compatibility would be fantastic...and surely a no brainer. Im using BubbleUPnp for now...bought the licence too, only £3 and seems to be working OK. However, for the money i have spent on the Play 5 i would expect this to be a standard feature
It's not going to support Bluetooth, the players don't have Bluetooth hardware in them and you can't add it with just software.
I agree that this feature is absolutely needed for Android users. I just bought a Play:5 for Christmas and was let down when this feature wasn't present. I bought on a recommendation - but found out too late that they had iphones! Waiting patiently!
download the BubbleUPnP Lisense app today, just found this out and i can play my play list from google
I was ready to drop some $ on this system until reading the fine print highlighted the fact that playing directly from my Android device is not supported. Any response as to future plans (particularly WHEN) for this capability? It's the difference between waiting patiently or looking for an entirely different solution.
download the BubbleUPnP Lisense app today, just found this out and i can play my play list from google, it is in the google play store. Bought this for my wife and now she and I love the device before I almost sent it out the window.
When can Sonos make this happen? This is a very desired feature. I don't have an iOS device and would love to be able to stream music to my Play:5 and Play:3 without turning on my desktop.
download the BubbleUPnP Lisense app today, just found this out and i can play my play list from google, it is in the google play store.
Another Android user here requesting support.
download the BubbleUPnP Lisense app today, just found this out and i can play my play list from google, it is in the google play store.