Question

Is there any way to put a password on your sonos system?

• 13 February 2013
  • 108 replies

Trying to stop everyone logging in and switching the play list, wondering if there is any way to put a password on the system so only those with the code can access the system

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Yes, but hen people will complain that they have speakers in every room, and their kids should be able to control their own speakers but not some others.
Yes, but hen people will complain that they have speakers in every room, and their kids should be able to control their own speakers but not some others.

Sonos already provided the facility to separate systems by setting up separate households. Presently you can have your kids under separate systems from yours, but there is no way to stop them from jumping between them in the app

Adding the option to set a password to join a system would accomplish the scenario you describe afaict.

Sonos already provided the facility to separate systems by setting up separate households. Presently you can have your kids under separate systems from yours, but there is no way to stop them from jumping between them in the app

Adding the option to set a password to join a system would accomplish the scenario you describe afaict.

correct....I have 4 kids in house....2 not mine.....I want to stop them controlling the music in any zone. The downside of having a big Sonos system with 20+ components is that anybody that lives with you - i.e. 4 teenagers, can do whatever they want when you are entertaining friends - furthermore you can't tell which of the 6 of with access is doing mucking around. Basic necessity if you embrace the sonos system as wholeheartedly as i have.

Really annoying lack of functionality. Along with not being able to permantently link zones.

This is a sysetem built for 1-3 zone households.

They have not scaled the systems capabilities to keep pace with their own success in selling lots of speakers to big households.
Please have this option available!
None of these have replies I guess they don’t care
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Clearly they don't. This has been an issue for years now, and there doesn't appear to be any security development at all. Personally, I was already aware of this flaw before purchasing my Sonos. However, I am an IT professional and am always looking at security for any networked device. The average person doesn't have my mindset and I can certainly understand their frustration with discovering this lack of security after the purchase. It really is a very BASIC security feature that should be available. That being said, it appears that the competition lacks this ability as well, so there's little incentive for Sonos to offer this.

However, I think the concept of the zero trust network is soon to be headed to people's homes, Sonos and the other smart-home device manufacturers will eventually need to address these concerns. Some have already started, but we'll just need to be patient for everyone else to catch up. Meanwhile, security conscious users will need to take matters into their own hands, and implement their own security.

Personally, I have implemented NAC on my home network. However, if your equipment doesn't support this (and I think most home networks don't), a simple solution could be to just plug in another wireless router into your existing router. Make sure this is a router (with firewall) and not just an access point, otherwise it would be pointless. Your Sonos equipment and any phones/tablets that need to control the Sonos would connect to this new network, while all other "untrusted" devices would remain on the original network. Yes, I understand that you shouldn't have to do this, and this introduces additional wireless interference concerns, and Sonos should have security functionality built in, but they don't. We can continue to complain, and I think we should to let Sonos know there are those demanding this feature, but meanwhile you shouldn't just wait and do nothing if you're really concerned about security.
3 years and no replies from Sonos?
Having the same issue in the office. The employees ignore the fact that they're not supposed to access Sonos but many are using the app and we can't shut them out of the network.
We're fed up of people playing 80's classics and ruining our day! HELP!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
We're fed up of people playing 80's classics and ruining our day! HELP!
Enjoying the cranberries I take it? :)

Having some kind of access management is definitely something to look into. Nothing beats a drunk party guest turning to volume all the way up - at 4 in the morning - as a friend (and his neighbors!) got to experience.