Question

Is there any way to put a password on your sonos system?

• 13 February 2013
  • 108 replies

Trying to stop everyone logging in and switching the play list, wondering if there is any way to put a password on the system so only those with the code can access the system

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Badge
Hello, There isn't a way to set a password or limit accessibility of the Sonos system. If someone has an iOS or Android device and is able to connect to your main network and gone through the setup process with the Sonos application they will have access to the system.
Userlevel 1
Sonos need to change this so one master controller has main access and can stop others logging on....please do an update so this is an option
Userlevel 2
I now put Sonos 1, 3, 5 and connect in most of our house but since most friends know we have sonos, they constantly change music. People are requesting an option to protect their sonos since more than 3 years. Will you finally do something or will you just watch people leaving Sonos for something that has access control? This should have been on your priority list since a long time
Badge
Granted this would be a great feature but are you really going to punish sonos for something that you can easily control? If i had friends that were doing that to me i would tell them to stop changing channels or i will lock them out of my network. With no access they have no control, it really is that simple. If they want to go find an empty network jack then i would tell them if they continue they will no longer be allowed over. If you have friends that will not respect your wishes then they really are not friends.
Userlevel 2
It is an easy fix and people are, simply are, requesting it. Of course the world would be awesome with butterflies everywhere and people respecting your network, but on parties, people drink and won't act as in a perfect world. I totally blame sonos for something nowadays even coffee machines have as  feature. Again, we have guests staying and in the guestroom it's the same network, so even if by inadvertence they play their Pantera in my room at 2 AM, it wouldn't happen if the sonos network would have such a simple and basic feature.
Userlevel 2
Hello, There isn't a way to set a password or limit accessibility of the Sonos system. If someone has an iOS or Android device and is able to connect to your main network and gone through the setup process with the Sonos application they will have access to the system.
Scott, i wrote 2 comments below. I would love to hear a realistic statement about the future developments in this matter.. especially you guys are talking about it since years.
I also ask sonos about password protection ,a apple tv also have the possibility to protect your network why not on your sonos or the choise
Userlevel 1
I have a related question. I have 7 Sonos devices in 3 homes. When I go back and forth between houses I am constantly resetting the controller. Support has told me this is for my own protection, but I do not buy that as others are saying in this thread. There needs to be some form authentication. I would like to be able to select "which Sonos" I want to connect to and then enter a PIN if I am changing from one to another. It would also be nice to be able to have the Sonos Favorites list in you cloud or in the controller so that it can be the same for multiple devices, if desired. Many people who can afford Sonos also have more than one home and what I am suggesting is really needed.
Userlevel 1
I have a related question. I have 7 Sonos devices in 3 homes. When I go back and forth between houses I am constantly resetting the controller. Support has told me this is for my own protection, but I do not buy that as others are saying in this thread. There needs to be some form authentication. I would like to be able to select "which Sonos" I want to connect to and then enter a PIN if I am changing from one to another. It would also be nice to be able to have the Sonos Favorites list in you cloud or in the controller so that it can be the same for multiple devices, if desired. Many people who can afford Sonos also have more than one home and what I am suggesting is really needed.
Badge
It's a bit easy to say it's not possible while there are many users requesting for it.
My situation in this case is that we are using Sonos on our company, we have 7 Sonos PLAY:1 systems running on each department/floor, but every employee is able to switch the songs.
It's unacceptable to reply on such a request with such an easy answer.

I love Sonos, and we all do.. It's a great system and it works great.
But to implement this easy authentication utility must not be difficult.
Badge
My situation in this case is that we are using Sonos on our company, we have 7 Sonos PLAY:1 systems running on each department/floor, but every employee is able to switch the songs.
I would like to see this easy utility implemented shortly.

I love Sonos, and we all do.. It's a great system and it works great.
But to implement this easy authentication utility must not be difficult.
I now put Sonos 1, 3, 5 and connect in most of our house but since most friends know we have sonos, they constantly change music. People are requesting an option to protect their sonos since more than 3 years. Will you finally do something or will you just watch people leaving Sonos for something that has access control? This should have been on your priority list since a long time
same here
Granted this would be a great feature but are you really going to punish sonos for something that you can easily control? If i had friends that were doing that to me i would tell them to stop changing channels or i will lock them out of my network. With no access they have no control, it really is that simple. If they want to go find an empty network jack then i would tell them if they continue they will no longer be allowed over. If you have friends that will not respect your wishes then they really are not friends.
when i have friends over they usually get my password i guess that's kind of normal, right? but that means they should be able to use my network but not my sonos. however when they are physically present they can get access to sonos which doesnt make much sense to me. a simple password would help
i could also picture my kids playing around with my sonos. and i guess i can't prohibit them to acces the network at home
That's a HUGE downside and doesn't make any sense: friends and kids have access to your network and if they find a Sonos device they could get access to this. This is really bad! Why not beeing able to set a password, maybe a general, maybe one for each Sonos item. And if you don't like that idea then just don't set a password.
Badge
why cant you? you pay for the network not the kids. I just love the entitlement children feel nowadays and the parents that accommodate it.
I can segregate my network easily enough with multiple VLANs and separate access points. My issue is I'd like to be able to lock the SONOS configuration equipment-wise so significant other or kids can't rename things, drop devices, etc.. It isn't malicious but my significant other gets frustrated and starts doing things she doesn't understand. So, I spend time each week fixing the configuration. I also like the idea of controlling multiple homes from one controller without having to rejoin each time. Thank you
Userlevel 1
For some reason, Sonos does not seem to think this is important. I sure do.
I have just experienced a scenario mentioned above when during a party one of my kids' boyfriends decided to screw around with my Sonos system via the iOS app. He got the network access code from her, then had free reign over the music during the party. Red faces all around as my boss and senior management were in attendance, with music stopping, jumping from track to track without me being able to understand why. In the end I turned it off and resorted to playing CDs through my PC and into an external amp. It is astonishing that there is no option to password protect the system. This is something you must address immediately, or I for one will be selling my 4 Sonos pieces of kit. Ridiculous.
Badge
Hi Anthony, how bad it may sounds, but I love your situation. Love it in the way I hope SONOS is finally doing something about it! It ridiculous that this small feature with such a hugh effects is not yet been implemented..
Thanks Bjorn. I really hope they sort this out, because Sonos is a great concept and decent quality kit. I live in hope, but if nothing has happened in the next 6 months (I know how long software development can take) it would mean that all the time people have been urging Sonos to do something, they have not paid attention. And that is not acceptable.

And the daughter's boyfriend that alerted me to this (no matter how stupidly) is now banned from my house!
Badge
Thanks Bjorn. I really hope they sort this out, because Sonos is a great concept and decent quality kit. I live in hope, but if nothing has happened in the next 6 months (I know how long software development can take) it would mean that all the time people have been urging Sonos to do something, they have not paid attention. And that is not acceptable.

And the daughter's boyfriend that alerted me to this (no matter how stupidly) is now banned from my house!

I'm following this discussion from almost the beginning, and that's more then 1 year ago.. Not even a reply from a member from SONOS yet, it's ridiculous..
A software development takes a while indeed, but no reply after over a year doesn't look like any progress, or listening to customer feedback. While SONOS is not cheap at all, you're paying for quality. So you expect the best (my opinion..)

Banned from the house sounds reasonable.
He just tried to impress your daughter, which was on the wrong time and moment.. Hope your relationship with your boss didn't change during this little incident..

Also I hope SONOS will read this to understand the importance of this small feature.. Same thing on our company, co-workers can access SONOS easily if they understand a little bit of the technology.. You just don't want anyone to screw with the sound while you're giving an presentation. It can have a big impact if someone has a bad intention, or just doesn't have the knowledge of what might happen. Like in your case, he just thought he was funny..
Userlevel 1
I hope Sonos product management are reading this thread. It would be nice if they posted some form of response acknowledging or denying the validity of the requirement. Different people are asking in different ways but all point to the need for some form of authentication. In a larger context, it seems to me that Sonos should want to marry their great sound system with the Cloud. It would provide a solution to all the problems plus provide a nice marketing angle. It would allow Sonos users to keep their credentials, configuration, Sonos favorites list, etc. in the Sonos Cloud and enable users to move from their office to their residence to their summer home have their configurations and favorites go with them.
So John suggests that "many" Sonos owners have more than one home? Delusional at best. Play:1 in UK costs 169 pounds, hardly pricing it out of the mass market. Complete and utter garbage spouted in the pursuit of selfish ends. Let the developers work on things that appear to be needed by a large number of people. (Although if your friends think it's funny to override your system, you need to sort them out)
Anthony - sell the kid, not the equipment. How come you people can't impose appropriate discipline? Unbelievable. Spoilt brats eh?