Answered

Is there any use in adjusting speaker distance after trueplay

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is there any use in adjusting speaker distance after trueplay? To be able to adjust the speaker distance you have to turn trueplay off, then do the adjustments, for so turning the trueplay back on. But after this is done, the speaker distance is grayed out. So I wonder if doing it this way will effect the sound, or are you just back to your original truplay distance?

icon

Best answer by ratty 8 May 2022, 13:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You’d be back to the Trueplay tuning, which for home theatre setups includes the channel balance. (EQ can be tweaked to suit, on top of Trueplay.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have never seen anything on just what TruePlay does with the distance setting.

Does it change the volume level, does it change the sound timing, both, neither?

Try it both ways and go with what sounds best to you.

Userlevel 7

I have never seen anything on just what TruePlay does with the distance setting.

Does it change the volume level, does it change the sound timing, both, neither?

Try it both ways and go with what sounds best to you.

Taken from the linked thread:

Corry P wrote:
TruePlay disables balance due to the mathematical environment modelling TruePlay performs and how it can then use that model to manipulate the sound reproduction in that environment. So although TruePlay doesn’t affect balance, they are functionally incompatible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

From that post, TruePlay does change the timing based on the internally measured distance.

TruePlay affects EQ, timing and reflection correction but not overall balance.

The Sonos FAQ doesn’t mention distance compensation.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3251?language=en_US

Trueplay measures how sound reflects off walls, furnishings and other surfaces in a room, then fine tunes your Sonos speaker to make sure it sounds great no matter where you've placed it.