Is there a way to disallow visitors from controlling the Sonos music ?

• 14 September 2017
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi, (A question I asked Sonos, with their reply. I wonder if anyone else would support this suggestion, thanks). >>
My Sonos system is great, but we had a party and some of our friends are on the wifi.
A couple of them went onto the Sonos system on their phones and started playing inappropriate tracks and controlling the playlist.
Is there a way to disallow them from controlling the Sonos. I.e. possibly require a user password access.
Many thanks
Kind regards SteveMap.
>>
This is the response from Sonos Customer Care >>
>> Good morning Steve,

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care.

I am sorry that people were able to access your Sonos system whilst holding a party. We want to try and provide music in the household that is easy for the whole family to access, as this is the case the Sonos system does not have any restrictions to who can access the system. As long as someone is able to connect to the Wi-Fi they will be able to access the system.

In this instance I am going to submit this as a feature request for you as this may be a feature that could be added to the system in the future. I also recommend visiting the Community portion of the Sonos page to discuss this potential feature with other like minded Sonos Customers who may want this feature included as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Yep, this comes up often. The common recommendation is to password protect your wifi network and don't give it out to guests. Most modern routers provide a second guest network for guests to use without a password, with internet access only. Of course, you could also no longer invite people to your home who can't stop themselves from playing inappropriate music.

It's completely my opinion, but I think there is a chance there could be a password feature added before the end of the year. There is an upcoming integration with Amazon Alexa, which could very well work by accessing your sonos system from outside your local network. If that's the case, a password would definitely be required. Even if it's not Sonos has talked about integrations with Google and others in the future. In this day, not being able to access the system from outside the network, and thus requiring a password, can be a very limiting factor for integration.
[...] Even if it's not Sonos has talked about integrations with Google and others in the future. In this day, not being able to access the system from outside the network, and thus requiring a password, can be a very limiting factor for integration.
No offence, still, in that case I hope Sonos is going to set up a charge for every »HELP, I HAVE FORGOTTEN MY PASSWORD« support request, because those will come in by the dozens – on every single day.
Userlevel 2
Thanks
I wouldn't think it would be too much of a workload. It's not like sonos is protecting financial records, so it can be quite simple. Not much complexity required in the password, allow device to remember password, and reset by sending user an email. Pretty common these days. There will be some who call instead of clicking 'Forgot password?', but that should be rather rare.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The best way for this is to set-up a guest network that you allow your guests access to.
Whilst I understand the concerns and issues regarding guests accessing Sonos if you allow visitors access to your network they ALSO have access to any devices and drives attached to that network. I would have though that ought to be more of a concern.
Userlevel 2
Hi, regarding Guest access. Is it the case they won't be able access the rest of the network, hence won't be able to Access Sonos. I didn't realise that. It's worth a try, thanks. SteveMap
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Yes Guest access would block access to your network. Another option for Sonos would be allowing access based on MAC adresses but to be honest for you guest network sounds best all round (or just kicking them out of your house..
Userlevel 2
Great thanks
Userlevel 2
Many thanks for your replies. I have now set a Guest Wifi and, yes it blocks people from logging onto Sonos, hooray. I've also changed my main router password so previous users cant log in.
thanks for all your help.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Guest networks are fine, but that's not a solution for people, e.g. students who share a house and WiFi and want to use their Sonos Play-1 for their own music without having hundreds of other people controlling it.
Userlevel 2
Yes,
Thanks, very good point you make. I’ve abandoned the guest network idea. It would be better if you “only” or could “Allow others” to use your device (play-X) via a pin or passcode.
SteveMap
Hi, I have the same issue- everyone wants to play their own tracks during house party. - I have an easy workaround- in room settings change the language to something no one understands, then change it back after party time! nice.
Userlevel 2
Hi jscw, sound like a great idea but I can’t find the language settings anywhere. Can you advise please.
Thanks SteveMap
hi from the smartphone app; more (bottom rhs) > settings > rooms settings > (device) > voice language

( For alexa devices, this stops people from asking Alexa. (Alexa hears, but no comprehendo))
Userlevel 2
Thanks jcsw, I was trying to tune the rooms without “Alexa”. Doh !
Thanks, it’s a good workaround.
Kind regards Steve Map