Question

Is there a Sonos Controller for Google Chromebook?

• 29 December 2012
  • 10 replies

Any plans for a Chromebook Controller?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I have the same question, just got a chromebook recently
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unfortunately there isn't a controller (either web-based or a web app) for the Google Chromebook. There have been others with this request though, and you can add your +1 vote for this feature at the link below: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/a_vote_for_a_chromebook_player
Userlevel 2
The Android app only works when connected to the same network as the Sonos system (WiFi), and not on a mobile network. I'm not sure why, but whatever the reason, it might make it complicated to make a web-based app, since that will require a connection over the web, and not in a LAN. Just a thought.
just got a chromebook. now cannot play music on sonos speakers. are you going to provide an app for the chromebook?
Where's the problem to provide a "web-based"-App that works just via local connections? Any sonos-server provides the basic mechanic for the app (optionally saved locally as a offline app), settings etc. are stored inside the browsercache and the app just looks for the sonos e.g. inside private ip ranges or within any other way, the mobile apps lookout for components. Just a thought.

Can't imagine that's impossible to write for professionals. 
My guess is that the Sonos gang are too busy counting their money to bother with expanding their controller to those who want inexpensive/cheap/free stuff. The Sonos model apparently is to appeal to the rich and milk them for what they can.
Still waiting Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
With Google signalling some sort of platform convergence of Android with Chrome OS within a couple of years, I think the chances of seeing Sonos putting out a Chrome OS specific app are approximately zero. I'm not suggesting that's good, but I think it's just the way it is.

Options:
1. The 3rd party "Sonos Controller for Chrome" app has limited functionality (limited music service support: eg. I can play TuneIn stations set as Sonos Favourites, and also GPM Stations set as Sonos Favourites, but nothing else) but otherwise works very well, is stable and resource light. If my Android isn't to hand, I use this a bit, and am grateful to the guy (Pascal Opitz) who wrote this!
Chrome Store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sonos-controller-for-chro/cojfokmeikpnickdpoopoockilamcmoc?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

2. *If* you've a powerful Chromebook you can run the Android Sonos Controller app using Google's Arc Welder. BUT, it's eats CPU and battery. I use this very sparingly when my Android isn't to hand and if what I want to do isn't possible with the Chrome OS app mentioned in 1 above. NB I have a Pixel 2, and by all accounts, this option won't really work on lesser hardware. When I run this, my fan whirrs like hell - the only thing that ever fires it up - and I quickly close the app once I'm done to preserve battery. But it completely works, with all Sonos Controller app functionality, although clearly not an option for most people.

3. Await whatever platform convergence our Google overlords have in store for us in a couple of years, when one app may more easily run across the different form-factor mobile and desktop devices - although you may need to pony up for some new hardware!
Badge
Sadly the third-party chrome app seems to have been removed from the store. This is very annoying.
Sadly the third-party chrome app seems to have been removed from the store. This is very annoying.

If you use Linux then this is where it went......

https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux

HTH's

J.