Answered

Is Cr200 still working?

• 3 February 2018
  • 12 replies

Badge +1
I am planning to bay a CR200. Is it stil possible to add it to my Sonos system? - or is it going to be outdated like the cr100?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 February 2018, 20:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

They haven't made any announcements about the CR200 at this point. That being said, my opinion is the writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of when it happens. Could be a month later, could be 5 years or more. That's the problem with trying to predict this stuff, there's just no effective way of knowing.
Badge +1
They haven't made any announcements about the CR200 at this point. That being said, my opinion is the writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of when it happens. Could be a month later, could be 5 years or more. That's the problem with trying to predict this stuff, there's just no effective way of knowing.

Ok, I must be aware of this, but do you also know if it still possible to add it to sonos? (I am using Sonosnet)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you can still use the CR200 as long as your using Sonosnet. If it has a real old firmware on it then you may possibly have to call sonos for them to do a forced update.
Badge +1
Yes you can still use the CR200 as long as your using Sonosnet. If it has a real old firmware on it then you may possibly have to call sonos for them to do a forced update.

Perfekt - I will give it a try.
Thank you for the info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have had bad luck with my CR-200 as it dies shortly out of warranty so I was not tempted to replace it.

Another issue is the size of the display and the difficulty in making selections if you are fat fingered, a stylus helps but is one more thing to hunt for. Ours mostly sat unused as we bought two additional CR-100s to use instead.

Looking at ebay I'm seeing prices in the $200 plus range, a big investment for an old device. Check the size and how it will work for you before you spend your money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just get a firebrand tablet lock it down to Sonos only and call it a day
Badge +1
Just for info, there was no trouble installing my 2nd hand CR200, just make sure that the software is updated by the previous owner, on his system. I just switched it on, and then my SONOS system remedially connected to it.
Do I then recommend it? hmmm I got mine cheep (40 EUR) in very good condition, so I think the price was ok.
My primary need is a tool where I am table to - in a fast way- turn the music on/off including regulating the vol. up and down - and for that it is perfect (especially the "real buttons"). But ok, the screen is at little slow - compared to a modern phone/tablet, (Is it possible to calibrate the screen ??) so actually the advice from Chris is worth going for.... I also have an old Ipad2, that now has been "locked to SONOS", and turned of the "screensaver" (or what ever it is called in English:P) - and now you also have a nice SONOS controller, with a fast reacting screen.

The CR 200, I think is going to be a perfect controller in my workshop. Or the perfect tool controlling the music in your living room - e.g. if you are having a party, and you don't want every single guest to be the "disk jockey" via his phone.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I've got one CR200 setup on my system via a Bridge.

Can I add an additional CR200 so I can control from different parts of the house?

Thanks,

John
Badge +1
Can't see why not (but have not tried it)
You could also find a cheap 2nd hand Tablet /Ipad and then just lock it to sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
HWANDK,

Adding the second CR200 was a breeze. Now I've got two of them up and running. Love them!

What do you mean by locking the tablet to Sonos? Seen that mentioned before. Have a spare tablet I could try.

John
Badge +1
@k9kids,

I use an old Ipad2, and locking it to SONOS means that when you open/touch it, you have direct access to e.g. SONOS. If you want to use it for anything else, you just open it up with a passcode. (mine is always turned on in SONOS mode) but the Idea is that no one else can use your Ipad for anything else than SONOS, without knowing this code (without the code they can only use it to SONOS)

I "googled" this:
(You'll find Guided Access by going to Settings, General, Accessibility, and then scroll down to Guided Access. To get started, flip the switch and tap Set Passcode to create a four-digit passcode)

How to do it with a "tablet"? - I guess it depend which one it is.

Maybe there the are someone else in the forum that can help with a better description?. I got one from SONOS helpdesk, - but it is in Danish 😛
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Figured it out on an Android tablet. Works great.

Thanks.