Is anyone else starting to hate their sonos system because of the app?

Userlevel 2

I bought into Sonos because it provided hassle free music throughout my house.  Over the years the term, "hassle free" has gotten less and less accurate due to the app "upgrades".  Today I attempted to address my issues with the app and found the support address listed on the Google play app page is no longer functional.  So I waited until 10am when I could use chat (who provides only 1 way to contact them and have it not be 24/7?) Where I got a very unhelpful associate.  He was probably good at trouble shooting system issues but that wasn't what I was looking for, it was just the only way I find to contact Sonos.

And to cap it all off, the chat app stopped working after just a few minutes of chatting.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MumblingMillimeter.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. We apologize for the inconvenience.

May I know what seems to be the issue with your Sonos system? what seems to be the problem so we can better help out. 

The more information you provide, the more we’ll be able to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

Hi Paul. My original problem with the app was that when my internet was out but my wifi was working the app would not launch. That meant that while I could still use my sound bar and subwoofer I had no way to pair it to other rooms.  My second problem is that the contact email for the app listed in the app store produced a bounce back saying it was no longer monitored.  My third problem was then that I had to wait for business hours to contact support. My fourth problem was then that the chat app froze mid support. My fifth problem was I waited until a week day and called. The person said a supervisor would be in touch. My sixth problem is that I never heard from Sonos again.

Oh, and also I was forced to upgrade to an app that has 2.8 stars and the app on my tablet is no longer supported which means I don't have a way to give guests control of the playlist. 

Basically I have outrageously expensive hardware that is dependent on an app which is getting worse and worse.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MumblingMillimeter.

Thank you for the immediate and detailed response. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by these situations.

I would like to ask if you can message me directly with the following information.

• First and Last name:
  • Sonos account email address:
  • Call back number:
  • State and Timezone you’re currently in:
  • Best time to give you a call back (in general like daily if possible).

Once the information requested via DM are on hand, I’d be more than happy to send this up to our escalation team for proper handling.

Looking forward on these information from you soon.

Thanks,

Userlevel 3
Badge

I can’t disagree MM. 

I just want to click on Sonos, find some music in either my spotify or Youtube music OR on my Library without seeing the little white square “Unable to play...”

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Michael Sch.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask some clarifying questions to better understand the situation.

• What is the exact and complete error message when trying to play music through your Sonos devices?
  • Does this happen when trying to play on one Sonos device or to a grouped Sonos device on the Sonos app?
  • Does this issue only happen to a specific music service or it happens to all music services including music library?
  • Is this happening from the Sonos S1 app or S2 app if you have both?
  • Does this happen when trying to play music on a Home theater Sonos Speaker or just the regular Sonos Music speaker like Sonos one, Play 1. etc?

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out

Thanks,

Totally starting to hate my Sonos system due to the app!!!!!  Well stated mumblingmillimeter.  Worthless expensive hardware that is useless due to the app!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Sonos Experience Suffering If you state the problems you have with the app, you could get some help from Sonos or forum members…....

Badge

Agree about chat being a horrible way to interact with Customer service. It cut me off too. Also agree that the app is not very user friendly, for multiple reasons

Userlevel 1

I found this thread because I’m losing my mind with my Sonos right now. I have the S2 app and it almost never finds my system right away. Sometimes I get the “unable to connect” message, and sometimes, it connects to part of my system, not all of it. I had to create two separate Systems due to Sonos’ inability to maintain a line-in connection and surround speakers, so I have one System for my Soundbar and sub, one for my amp and record player. The app consistently can only find one system. As a result, I either can’t listen to the record player at all, or I can only listen to it via the in-ceiling rear speakers (connected to the amp), not my Soundbar and Sub.

I’m sick of unplugging and replugging, sick of turning everything off, and sick of restarting my app over and over in hopes that it connects to the speakers. All I want is for all my Sonos products to connect so I can play music. Sonos is supposed to be the easy-to-use system. Instead, it’s proving to be impossible to keep working.

Unfortunately, all that points to network issues, and not Sonos issues. I certainly understand being tired of having to deal with network issues constantly, having been down that road myself.

The one thing that resolved those problems for me was assigning all network devices reserved IP addresses in my router. I had to check the router’s manual on how to do that, but since doing that, both my Sonos and all other network devices have been rock solid….except for when the new neighbor came in and had his router set to the same channel that my router was set to. But that was a fairly simple adjustment in the router’s interface, and everything was back to rock solid. 

The problem with using technology is it comes with added responsibilities, and will never be as ‘simple’ as older, wired tech. It’s the price you end up paying for the extra features you get with devices like Sonos. Who would have thought in the 60’s or 70’s that we would have speakers with networked computers in each one?