Is Android 10 still a problem for local playback?

• 23 February 2021
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

I’ve got to setup five Galaxy Tab 8’s tomorrow which require ability to play local music stored on the device.

4 months ago i know this wasn’t possible - has there been any updates that have fixed this before i spend ages trying to configure them.

If not - suggestions at best work around would be appreciated as i don think my client will be happy if i tell them they need 5 music servers too :(

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I am on Android 10 and can play music from my device, a Galaxy S9. But I could still do so when there were a few threads saying there were problems.

IMO and FWIW, playing music stored on the device is the worst and least stable option for Sonos. 

If not - suggestions at best work around would be appreciated as i don think my client will be happy if i tell them they need 5 music servers too :(

Why would you need 5 music servers?  One music library would serve all of Sonos network.  Do you have an unusual application where you’re trying to separate music libraries for 5 different users or something?

Badge +1

Why would you need 5 music servers?  One music library would serve all of Sonos network.  Do you have an unusual application where you’re trying to separate music libraries for 5 different users or something?

Client has 5 different internet-less locations they require music.

They don't want to use music services and only have limited 4g access at each location

Badge +1

I am on Android 10 and can play music from my device, a Galaxy S9. But I could still do so when there were a few threads saying there were problems.

IMO and FWIW, playing music stored on the device is the worst and least stable option for Sonos. 

Oh that's promising then.. I shall find out tomorrow.

Not an ideal solution I know, but these are internet-less locations

Since they have a LAN that the speakers are connected to, an NAS might be a more viable solution.

Since they have a LAN that the speakers are connected to, an NAS might be a more viable solution.

Yes, but for 5 locations, you’re going to need 5 NAS.  How big are these locations?  Multiple sonos rooms/zones per location?  What speakers at the locations?  Just wondering if a line-in option might be easier to manage or more reliable.

Not substantially more, and the likelihood of the NAS’ being ‘out of date’ would be less so than the OS on the Galaxies. But I agree, it does change the situation a bit, as you’d still need a controller. You may be right about considering a line in, though.

But I remain more concerned about the volatility of the operating system on the Android devices. And as we’ve seen recently, the storage location of the music which appears to be different per many apps on Androids. 

Badge +1

Yes, but for 5 locations, you’re going to need 5 NAS.  How big are these locations?  Multiple sonos rooms/zones per location?  What speakers at the locations?  Just wondering if a line-in option might be easier to manage or more reliable.

they are 5 showhomes for a builder client, so all in totally different locations - i will be testing one of 5 x Galaxy’s today - may well end up being 5 x NAS or 5 x TP-Link travel routers with USB which i’ve done before but are a little flaky (only cost £30 each though..)

I think that a USB NAS would be the best overall approach, rather than storing music on phone(s). Playing music from phones seems fragile to me. If there is a poor WiFi coverage area on the property the agent must take care not to walk there while playing music.

In any case, one nag will be keeping the phone(s) and locations on compatible versions of firmware and controller. If the phone(s) are also used in private homes and updated there, they may not be compatible with the show homes. If independent agents can show the homes, they should have music and a compatible controller on their phones. (and also know how to operate the system) Further, if this is a large tract of homes with multiple agents showing multiple clients multiple sample homes, if music is playing from agent ‘A’s phone and agent ‘A’ takes the client to house ‘B’, music in home ‘A’ will stop unless all homes are on the same subnet.

Another approach would be to use a Lutron Pico controller or maybe the homes use Brilliant Lighting control. If you are using accessible powered speakers, such as ONE’s, they only need to be touched in order to start and stop music. A short site note for independent agents can instruct how to start and stop the music.

In any of these schemes, if anything gets out of sync, you’ll need a controller with the proper version of software, to get things going again.

Badge +1

I think that a USB NAS would be the best overall approach, rather than storing music on phone(s). Playing music from phones seems fragile to me. If there is a poor WiFi coverage area on the property the agent must take care not to walk there while playing music.

In any case, one nag will be keeping the phone(s) and locations on compatible versions of firmware and controller. If the phone(s) are also used in private homes and updated there, they may not be compatible with the show homes. If independent agents can show the homes, they should have music and a compatible controller on their phones. (and also know how to operate the system) Further, if this is a large tract of homes with multiple agents showing multiple clients multiple sample homes, if music is playing from agent ‘A’s phone and agent ‘A’ takes the client to house ‘B’, music in home ‘A’ will stop unless all homes are on the same subnet.

Another approach would be to use a Lutron Pico controller or maybe the homes use Brilliant Lighting control. If you are using accessible powered speakers, such as ONE’s, they only need to be touched in order to start and stop music. A short site note for independent agents can instruct how to start and stop the music.

In any of these schemes, if anything gets out of sync, you’ll need a controller with the proper version of software, to get things going again.

Cheers Buzz - each of the showhomes use the Galaxy Tab for display CCTV images too, so one only per house sits on the agents desk. They have their own network via 4g router as no fixed line yet. It has worked in past until the previous time i had issues with app actually playing music - i’ve configured all five systems in the office today - 17 Sonos devices, 5 4g routers 5 Galaxy Tabs and i’m pleased to say currently all working…

Proof will be in the pudding when they go out to sites, but i’m pretty confident the Tab location will be close to routers so hopefully no issues - i’ve turned up auto updates on Play Store and in Developer options so hopefully no unintended updates that break things..

Badge +1

Cheers All for suggestions

I set all systems up to day - 17 Sonos devices, 5 Galaxy Tabs, 5 x 4G Routers. All Tabs preloaded with clients music - and thankfully all working :joy:

Now all boxed up and ready for site install