Answered

IR Signal Light on Playbar with Logitech Harmony Elite Remote

I've recently purchased a Playbar, Sub and 2 x Play 1's. I am using an LG 55EF9500 TV and a Logitech Harmony Elite remote. I originally setup the remote using IR to directly control the Playbar, as if it were a standard TV remote. Sound went up and down just fine. The Playbar blinked it's light each time so you had some sense of it receiving the signal (which I liked) but the LG TV gave out an annoying message.

Since then, I've added the Sonos Playbar as a device to my Logitech Harmony Elite remote. I guess this means that it's now being controlled by my hub over wifi. No more annoying TV messages when sound goes up and down (which is good), but also no more blinking light on the Playbar, which I miss.

Is there a way to bring back the functionality to the Playbar indicating it's receiving volume up/down or do I have to give that up?

I've had a read of some of the Logitech Harmony posts and articles, but can't seem to find info on this. Maybe I just need to get used to know "feedback" on volume up/down other than the volume going up and down... Lol
icon

Best answer by jpalenz 29 November 2017, 14:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I know this topic is over a month old, but did you get an answer to this? I did the exact same thing as you, but for me, I liked the indicator light on the Playbar so I removed the device for My Harmony. However, if Harmony/Sonos ever adds the "night mode" and "speach enhancement" functionality to the remote codes, I will certainly add the Playbar back.
Badge
Hello!!

For anybody still looking for a solution to this issue, this is the way to go:

Disconnect Sonos Playbar power cable.

Login to your MyHarmony account.

Remove Sonos Playbar from devices.

Add the Sonos Playbar as a new device.

MyHarmony will scan for the device and display "No devices found. Please..." message.

Click 'Done'. Now the Playbar will be added as an IR device.

Create Activities using the newly added Playbar and 'Sync' your remote.

Reconnect Sonos Playbar to the power.

DONE
Badge
this didnt work for me. I did it via the my harmony app but i got no error message that I could click ok to and continue regardless. Mine used to display the light fine but since the IP control update to my remote, there is no light indication when I turn up or down volume. Anyone got any ideas?
Badge
It woked actually twice for me. Make sure you do it from the computer and not from the mobile app. Keep the playbar unplugged until the very end. It should work!
Badge
you do it via the harmony computer app or directly via the website?
Badge
The harmony computer app
Badge
i definitely followed the guide step by step and it didnt work. I did not get the "no devices found" message though. Certainly not word for word.

Have you tried this since IP support was added? I think this is a relatively new update for sonos/harmony and I dont know if that is the reason why this guide no longer works
Badge
ah, ok ive worked out what it is. I had other sonos (play1's) in the house. The guide should really say unplug ALL sonos speakers, once I did that, everything worked as it should.

Thanks all
Badge
Glad to hear that mate, enjoy!
This worked for me today on the first try. Thanks for the solution to my problem.
Another way around it...

Create a new device in the Harmony app. I have a Sony TV so created a device from the model number of a Samsung TV.
Rename the new device to Sonos Remote (not essential but looks neater).
Add the device to your activities.
Rerun the activities now choosing Sonos Remote as the volume controller. Choose NO CHANGE when it asks you for the input for the Sonos Remote device (it’s going to ask as it thinks it’s a TV).
In the Sonos app retrain the PlayBar for the new ‘remote’.

The PlayBar now thinks it’s being controlled by your TV’s remote so it uses IR and the light blinks but the TV doesn’t recognise the signal so no on-screen message is displayed.