Question

iPhone X won't allow SONOS app to access iTunes Music Library on the phone?

• 12 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Hi! Just set up a new CONNECT to my existing home audio system, installed the app on my Mac, iPad Pro, iPhone X, and am able to play music from the Mac and iPad, but the iPhone X (current iOS) does not want to allow access to the iTunes library on the phone. In the app, I use the 'Browse' button, and select 'On this iPhone', and then am prompted to 'Grant Permission' which takes me the phone's system settings,specifically the SONOS app settings, and all toggle switches are green (on), except 'Cellular Data' is off to conserve data usage. When I switch back to the the SONOS app, there is no change in access to the music library on the iPhone. I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, I've synced with my Mac, and still no change. Any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

DanielF

On trying to access your iPhone media library, via the Sonos App, you should have received this notification. See screenshot attached.

Assuming you received that notification you needed to choose the 'OK' (allow) option... if you did not select that option then goto PRIVACY in the iPhone Settings and choose the option that says MEDIA & APPLE MUSIC and toggle the switch to the ON position for the Sonos entry.

Note: you will only see music tracks you have DOWNLOADED and have STORED on the iPhone... you will not see your iCloud stored tracks.

Hope that resolves your issue.
Thanks Ken! Yeah, I got that message on the iPad, but not the iPhone, so I went into the privacy settings as you suggest, and the SONOS app does not appear in the Privacy setting for MEDIA & APPLE MUSIC, so it appears that the app either did not was blocked from requesting access to the music library on the phone. I deleted the app and reinstalled, but no change...as well as rebooted the phone. Seems there’s a glitch or perhaps there’s another privacy or phone setting the is blocking the access request? 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why tie your new phone up?
You could upload 50K tracks of your music to google play music for free & stream from there:-
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
It will sync with your iTunes library too, no other hardware needs to be powered up all day.
Thanks for the suggestion Paul.
Thanks Ken! Yeah, I got that message on the iPad, but not the iPhone, so I went into the privacy settings as you suggest, and the SONOS app does not appear in the Privacy setting for MEDIA & APPLE MUSIC, so it appears that the app either did not was blocked from requesting access to the music library on the phone. I deleted the app and reinstalled, but no change...as well as rebooted the phone. Seems there’s a glitch or perhaps there’s another privacy or phone setting the is blocking the access request? :-(

I’m not sure if this will work, but close the Sonos app completely and then go to the iPhone settings, scroll down until you find the Sonos App Settings and toggle off/on the option at the bottom that says 'on this device' then try opening the Sonos app again... see if it prompts you with the message to allow access to the iTunes media library on the device.

It has to be worth trying that.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Ken for clarifying that only downloaded songs will play on Sonos. Is there a workaround to play songs that I own and keep on the iTunes cloud? I don't wan to d/l everything on the phone.
Perlouit_sf,

There are a couple of things that you can do.

Upload your music files (upto 50,000 tracks allowed, I think?) to the free Google Play Service... then install the Google Play Service in settings in the Sonos App. You can then access your uploaded library.

Alternatively...
You could buy an Apple Music (monthly) subscription to see you your uploaded files... but I think you may also have to buy an iTunes Match (annual) subscription... not sure Again? ...but try it without the ITunes Match subscription first and see if it works.

Alternatively...
You could share your music folders/files from a laptop or NAS box on your Sonos network and add the 'share' to your Sonos controller using the library setup in settings, but obviously the computer or NAS box must be switched on to access your shared files.

I tend to use almost all these methods myself, as it then provides me with different options and acts as a good backup to all my music files.

Hope that helps

Ken
Here is the way to get around the access problem on your Mobile app that the latest OS removed. It provides access to the music on your Mac within iTunes - NOT to the Apple Music paid service. This is tried and tested myself.

To add music library you have to down the Sonos app on your LAPTOP and then follow these directions:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261/~/adding-and-updating-your-music-library

It takes about 10-15 minutes to down load and index depending on how much music you have - I have over 500 albums and it took 20 minutes.

Once it is downloaded (and finished indexing on the mobile app), then go to your mobile app. Under “Browse” you will now see “Music Library”. If it says “Indexing” you need this step to complete before you have access to the all your music. It will now have search capabilities by artist, album, song, composer, genre, and imported playlists. It's actually better than it used to be.

Make sure your iPhone Privacy settings are set correctly as well: Under settings, go to private, then Media & Apple Music, and turn Sonos app “on”

Also make sure the iPhone Sonos app has access to Media & Apple Music. Go to settings, scroll down to and select “Sonos”, make sure “Media & Apple Music” is flipped in the on position.

Leslie