Question

iphone volume buttons not working?

• 19 January 2014
  • 11 replies

The iPhone volume buttons used to work with the ios app but now don't seem to be working? Anyone else having this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge +2
A little fuel to this fire...I am experiencing similar inconsistent behavior (I am not using Spotify). I could only get my iPhone to adjust Sonos volume by opening the Sonos app and using the slide. Note that I used the iPhone to start the Sonos session; I have an iPad and a PC, but the iPhone was the controller. I double tapped and closed all open screens. I did a soft reset of the iPhone (home+power button, iPhone SE). I turned Bluetooth on and off. Then, guess what?
The side button on the iPhone now controls the Sonos volume. BUT, the iPhone screen remains off/dark. Previously, the song playing would appear, along with the volume slider and the skip button.
I'm running Sonos version 7.2, Build 35339010.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My issues is that the side volume buttons on the phone increase the volume, but not incrementally. It's goes from very quiet to incredibly loud with one push of the button - never used to happen....

Does this happen on just one mobile device or several devices?

We've seen some trouble with Spotify and the Sonos lockscreen controls that's being worked on. But I don't think you're running into that. Just to confirm though, do you use Spotify?
My issues is that the side volume buttons on the phone increase the volume, but not incrementally. It's goes from very quiet to incredibly loud with one push of the button - never used to happen....
I had this same issue. It turns out that when I was connected to a Bluetooth audio device the physical buttons would not work. When I switched away from the Bluetooth device to my iPhone on my control panel, the physical buttons began working again. That could be the fix.

Bingo. Had to turn off my bluetooth headphones and force quit and re-launch Sonos, then the hardware volume controls started working. Thanks!
I had this same issue. It turns out that when I was connected to a Bluetooth audio device the physical buttons would not work. When I switched away from the Bluetooth device to my iPhone on my control panel, the physical buttons began working again. That could be the fix.
Userlevel 2
My buttons worked yesterday but today I got prompted to update the system. After the update the iPhone buttons don't work and I have to use the slider in the app.

No other apps are running.
I too have suffered from this issue. The volume control on the side of the iphone does not always control Sonos volume when using The Sonos app. Sometimes it just controls the volume on the iPhone. I found the only way to correct this is to kill the Sonos app (double click on home and swipe it away) then restart. I would hazard a guess that if you leave Your Sonos app and then do something else using the volume on the iPhone, when you go back to Sonos it doesn't always re request control of the volume buttons. I would have thought this would be a fairly straight forward fix to make to the Sonos iPhone app ?
I have tried that. Sonos is the ONLY open app & it still doesn't work… Any other suggestions?
Hello Steve and Martin,

The volume buttons will control your Sonos volume for the open room when you have the App launched and up on the screen. If you're having issues with the buttons not working, this may be caused by another App taking over control of the iPhone buttons even when the Sonos App is launched.

The next time this happens, can you double tap on the Home button on the phone to pull up the App cards which are currently open. Swipe away Apps there which use the Volume buttons and you can see if one of those is causing this issue.

Cheers.

Nice one !!! that worked  - thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Steve and Martin,

The volume buttons will control your Sonos volume for the open room when you have the App launched and up on the screen. If you're having issues with the buttons not working, this may be caused by another App taking over control of the iPhone buttons even when the Sonos App is launched.

The next time this happens, can you double tap on the Home button on the phone to pull up the App cards which are currently open. Swipe away Apps there which use the Volume buttons and you can see if one of those is causing this issue.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It's weird but I can only change the volume using the iPhone buttons if I am in the sonos app but even then it only works 50% of the time.