iPhone not detecting Sonos in the same room but does when moved elsewhere

• 26 April 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I've been experiencing some odd behaviour with the app on my iPhone of late.

I normally work in my study with a couple of Play1s on my desk as a stereo pair. I also have a Play1 in the kitchen, another in an upstairs bedroom and a Playbase in the living room.

When sitting at my desk, literally just over a metre away from the two Play1s and about 2 metres from my wifi router, the Sonos app on my iPhone will frequently struggle to detect and connect to Sonos. Often it will say that it looks like one of my speakers is unplugged.

When I relocate to the kitchen or living room etc. the phone app will find all the Sonos devices and play nicely. If I return to the study............the app once again stops playing ball. The problem only resolves itself after I've rebooted the router.

My Android tablet is absolutely fine throughout. It sees the speakers no matter where I'm using it.

All speakers are using wifi.

Any ideas on why the iPhone app seems to be prone to such a problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Mountkeen. Thanks for posting! If it only happens on your iPhone, I'm inclined to think it has to do with the installation of the app or something regarding how your phone is connecting to the network.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have Low Power Mode on?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Keith

I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see what happens. I’ve a suspicion the phone does this after an app update but can’t be sure.

I’m not using the phone in low power mode.