Answered

iPhone 13 Pro max running ios 15

• 28 September 2021
  • 15 replies

Unable to complete true play with my device, telling me it’s not supported

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 September 2021, 01:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7

Since the iPhone 13 just came out four days ago, I doubt that it supports Trueplay yet. Hopefully it will be supported on the next software update.

You can use your old phone or borrow someone’s iOS device to perform Trueplay tuning.

That being said, and I don’t disagree with anything GuitarSuperstar said, Sonos has been extremely slow in supporting other devices released in the last 18 months or so. I would hope they can figure out how to get the iPhone 13 series set up for TruePlay, as well as the older devices released by Apple. There’s a list here about what Apple devices are currently supported. 

It’s ridiculous that it doesn’t work on any of the devices I own. I have iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad Pro 11(3rd generation) and iPad mini 6. All running iOS 15.1 final version(not beta).

For as much as I paid for Sonos sub, two play 1 speakers and the Sonos One SL, I shouldn’t have to buy an old iOS device just to true play tune everything.

Unable to complete true play with my device, telling me it’s not supported

It’s a poorly coded Sonos ioS issue. It’s not your phone, it’s tied to iOS 15 and their failure

Since the iPhone 13 just came out four days ago, I doubt that it supports Trueplay yet. Hopefully it will be supported on the next software update.

You can use your old phone or borrow someone’s iOS device to perform Trueplay tuning.

Would you like to come over and loan me your phone? That would be swell.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Johnathonm I agree with @Airgetlam that Sonos has been slow of late with picking up on new iOS devices for Trueplay. As I understand Trueplay relies on set references for which it needs to know the characteristics of each microphone used on every iOS device used for Trueplay. So it is not a Sonos app coding problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

They don’t even support the last gen iPad Pro yet which is my only alternative device. Sort of ridiculous if they’re not going to provide mic tuning accessories separate from phones.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Disappointing that Sonos take so long to sort stuff like this, I know the iphone 13 hasn’t been out that long. but nearly a month now, People who own sonos stuff probably have the latest iphones etc, so it should be a priority to get truplay updated.. ive still not been able to truplay my beam gen 2 as I have no other device that can do it.. 

@Johnathonm I agree with @Airgetlam that Sonos has been slow of late with picking up on new iOS devices for Trueplay. As I understand Trueplay relies on set references for which it needs to know the characteristics of each microphone used on every iOS device used for Trueplay. So it is not a Sonos app coding problem.

Theee is no reason there isn’t a TestFlight aka beta of the app seeing as we are well into 15.02, it is also across different models. E.g. iPad, iPhone 12, etc. hence, the failure.

And moreover, they have access to dev equipment and libraries at this tier. It sits poorly with me for a first run with the company, 

Badge +17

Theee is no reason there isn’t a TestFlight aka beta of the app seeing as we are well into 15.02, it is also across different models. E.g. iPad, iPhone 12, etc. hence, the failure.

Perhaps I can explain.

In order for a device to become TruePlay compatible, several tests and measurements are performed on each model of iPhone and iPad for every microphone on the device. This includes any variations across a single model (there may be different hardware revisions for a single model of iPhone, for example). This includes many hours in an anechoic chamber, as well as complex modelling and referencing to ensure an equal performance across all TruePlay compatible controllers. We typically don’t push out TruePlay profiles as beta tests nor do we use TestFlight for any beta programs we do run. 

Any updates to TruePlay compatible devices will be posted on our dedicated support page for Trueplay-compatible devices and Sonos products. Information about Sonos beta programs, including how to register interest can be found on our page for Sonos Beta Programs. We typically don’t push out TruePlay profiles as beta tests so I wouldn’t expect to find that, should you join a program.

I understand and appreciate that you want TruePlay Tuning to be available on the latest iOS devices (I recently purchased the new iPad Mini myself), but this process takes time, and we don’t have any dates or further information available at the moment for when this will be coming. I’ve passed on the comments in this thread to our developers anyway, to show your continued interest.

I hope that helps.

It has been a month and no compatibility for iPhone 13. Sonos has achieved $1.7 billion in sales this year and not enough focus to be able to release TruePlay compatibility for the latest model devices. Lengthy explanations of how complicated TruePlay tuning is really no excuse for keeping up with technology. Isn’t Sonos supposed to be a cutting edge tech company? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Frustrating moved house 3 month ago. And none of my friends have apple products.  I have a iPhone 13 pro and still cant true play😩

Having spent quite a bit of money on this system, I am glad Sonos is doing their due diligence with TruePlay. As frustrating as it can be, I would rather they be a little slower and get it right than to push out a janky update that bricks something or gets the tuning wrong. Thank you Sonos for outputting excellent products and continued support for those products. 

Userlevel 7

Trueplay is now working on my iPhone 13 Pro Max 👍🏼