iPad 2 not working with Control anymore

Userlevel 1
Ok, I've had it with Sonos. This is the second time this happens. I already had to replace 2 iPad gen 1 with iPad gen 2 tablets and now it seems I have to buy 2 new one's again. I'm going to sell everything and buy some other system that does not impose these kinds of practices upon me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
My two cents: SonoPad.
It's ridiculous, I know, but at least you can enjoy using your iPad's and you will be done with the frequent Sonos updates.
Userlevel 1
My two cents: SonoPad.
It's ridiculous, I know, but at least you can enjoy using your iPad's and you will be done with the frequent Sonos updates.

Hi BIDW. I've got SonoPad but it just doesn't quite cut it. I hate the Sonos-team for just too many reasons too. They are just plain arrogant. One day they just changed the background color to white without an alternative to switch back. The system is not stable, groups fall apart or players just disappear (and it's not my network that works flawless). There's 1 playlist in my system that just doesn't work anymore and I can't seem to be able to delete it. When the power goes down groups are not remembered. When I skip a song it just stops en the next one start without fade-out/fade-in. After the interface of Config changed it became less intuitive, navigating is just a bore. Try and get to the last number in your playlist. You'll get tired of swiping up.

I'm still pretty pleased with the quality of the units and their sound but there are just too many irritating things about the software and the company.

Just changing the policy because Apple does is just negligent, customers are of no interest. It's just too bad but I'm going to change my system for something else. I will not spend any more money on this company. And I bet they will not react to any of what I writing here. I'm just one unhappy angry disappointed customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It’s Apples policy as they do not allow multiple versions of the same app, good luck in finding a system that does not hit this issue. Why not get a cheap Amazon Fire tablet to use as a controller? It is virtually impossible for any app provider to be able to support all previous iOS versions and provide new features and integrations that Sonos provides.

If you have other issues with your system have you raised a fault with Sonos or reached out here for help? Most issues are WiFi and home network related and easily solved, given the chance.
It’s Apples policy as they do not allow multiple versions of the same app, good luck in finding a system that does not hit this issue.
Agreed. It is Apple that deprecates devices by not providing OS support to older devices, while simultaneously requiring app developers to design for the latest versions, in time breaking backwards compatibility. In Android, you can sideload older versions of apps, but without guarantees on functionality.

I've said it in other threads on this subject already; there is nothing to gain for Sonos by having peoples controller devices no longer work, it is just a choice that is at some point forced upon them.

Unfortunately, it is just inherent in the current state of consumer electronics that devices will not be supported forever. The iPad 2 was released in 2011, and discontinued in 2014. That is ages ago in the world of these devices. If you already replaced an iPad 1 by an iPad 2 because you were "forced to upgrade", there's a good chance that at the time the iPad 2 was already no longer the newest device out there. "Upgrading" to the next device that is about to be discontinued is just not a good idea. The iPad 4 runs iOS 10 and is, I think, the oldest iPad that will work with Sonos, but I would never buy one just for that purpose today, as it is just common sense that it will be the next to go.
If people ask me for advice on what to buy in electronics, I tell them to buy something newer and maybe even a little over-spec'ed, as it will last the longest possible amount of time. Sure, you could get an older model and spend less, but you'll just reach the point of having to buy a replacement sooner.
By the way, looking at those years above, keep in mind that there are Sonos devices out there, way older than 2011, that still work fine. Again, the manufacturers of these tablets and phones are the root cause here, not Sonos.

The complaints about stability and connectivity are likely caused by network problems, regardless of what you claim about your network, Sonos has quite different demands on a network than other applications have.
Sonos is an always-on system, so the issue with ungrouping seems strange to me, if you are having such frequent power outages that this becomes a problem, then that is a whole different problem altogether. Regarding the design and feature choices, that is just personal preference.
Anyway....

I'm going to sell everything and buy some other system that does not impose these kinds of practices upon me.
Good luck finding one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
It’s Apples policy as they do not allow multiple versions of the same app, good luck in finding a system that does not hit this issue.
Agreed. It is Apple that deprecates devices by not providing OS support to older devices, while simultaneously requiring app developers to design for the latest versions, in time breaking backwards compatibility. In Android, you can sideload older versions of apps, but without guarantees on functionality.

I've said it in other threads on this subject already; there is nothing to gain for Sonos by having peoples controller devices no longer work, it is just a choice that is at some point forced upon them.

How come SonoPad and SonoPhone still work? Are they somehow above this 'rule' that Apple force on all companies?

Just don't see how you can blame Apple when a third party App provider seems to be able to continue to operate (application functionality differences aside).

Logitech also have two versions on an App, one for legacy equipment.

Can you clarify that it is more won't than can't on Sonos's part.

Dave
I'm still pretty pleased with the quality of the units and their sound but there are just too many irritating things about the software and the company.

Sonos speakers are expensive paperweights. Sound quality is great. Software is absolute mind-blowing garbage that limits everything to their ecosphere of tiny-brained corporate decision making stupidity. Reminds me of Apple. "Sorry we're not going to share. You want google play to work on your device. Oh we need to negotiate with the Google and convince them to give us millions so we'll adopt their platform." Hell of a business model. Guess that's why their stock is half what it used to be and the CFO quit. You couldn't pay me to buy any more sonos gear.

All we want is...a way to stream to the sonos device without going through the LIMITED goddamn app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Sonos speakers are expensive paperweights.

I have a lot of paper I need to weigh down.
If you're looking to give those away.
Userlevel 2
Normally I do not make posts expressing my dissatisfaction with products because it does not do any good or change the end result. This is one of those times when it will not change anything, but I am irritated, and I want to express it. I own 6 ipads, three of them are Ipad 2’s that will no longer work with Sonos. I try to never use the word hate, but I reserve that word for Apple because they are the most arrogant company I have every dealt with in my 58 years of being alive. The only reason I own the Apple ipads is because I love the LaunchPort charges and sleeves I have scattered throughout my house, and the fact that I basically I only use them to control Sonos, Thermostats and RadioRA2. I have a $ 30K distributed audio system comprising of over $ 6K in Sonos connect, connectamps and subwoofers in 10 zones. The fact that I cannot use my original Ipad2’s and I have to buy new units to control my Sonos system is ridicules and unfair to Sonos customers. I am not technologically or financially challenged but I should not have to spend $ 1,800 (3 iPads x $ 400 + $200 LaunchPort sleeves) just to continue to use the $ 6K worth of Sonos equipment I own.

I also agree with the hundreds of other posts in different categories complaining about the constant Sonos App updates. When I first starting using Sonos 4 plus years ago you could do anything in the App on the main page by pushing a few buttons. Now you must push 5 or 6 buttons on multiple pages to accomplish the same task. I own a technology company, so I am not some old guy complaining about having to learn something new, I am complaining because you are not making the user experience better by forcing me to push more buttons. In this case, change does not always equal better, and it should in a company with your history and experience of making innovative products. Although I do not put Sonos in the same category as my dislike for Apple, I do think you are arrogant, and that attitude is not going to serve you well in the long run.

Sonos can certainly figure out how to support older software on IOS products that Apple does not support. You could easily keep multiply older versions on your website for your customers to download outside the Apple App store. Let’s be honest, you do not want to do it. Sonos could also figure out how to let people keep an older version of the software they like better, and not force them into a new skin. I realize that this is a complicated issue and I could not possibly be aware of all the challenges Sonos is faced with, but I think there was a better way to handle it for your loyal customers.

I Agee with fonxprt. Sonos needs to support older iOS systems that are used for music only!.   maybe you might get some return by shorting the stock, because they are not supporting the system and consumer complaints are high.  Someone will come up with a better mouse trap 

Yes Sonos should definitely continue to support Apple devices that Apple stopped supporting years ago, even if that limits new developments.

Maybe Apple is partly to blame here, but what’s preventing Sonos from creating an app that truly works through a third party?

Oddly enough, Apple (and Google, for Android). Once they stop supporting a operating system, you can no longer get reference/assistance with any issues when you’re programming for that environment. Nor can you get source code in order to learn the OS yourself and figure out the problems.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Maybe Apple is partly to blame here, but what’s preventing Sonos from creating an app that truly works through a third party?

Imo Nothing is preventing Sonos from 

-allowing missmatched versions so the last supported app on your iPad can continue to control your system when you upgrade your firmware (subject to limits)

- allowing owners to downgrade the firmware on their Sonos units to continue using older control hardware

Normally I do not make posts expressing my dissatisfaction with products because it does not do any good or change the end result. This is one of those times when it will not change anything, but I am irritated, and I want to express it. I own 6 ipads, three of them are Ipad 2’s that will no longer work with Sonos. I try to never use the word hate, but I reserve that word for Apple because they are the most arrogant company I have every dealt with in my 58 years of being alive. The only reason I own the Apple ipads is because I love the LaunchPort charges and sleeves I have scattered throughout my house, and the fact that I basically I only use them to control Sonos, Thermostats and RadioRA2. I have a $ 30K distributed audio system comprising of over $ 6K in Sonos connect, connectamps and subwoofers in 10 zones. The fact that I cannot use my original Ipad2’s and I have to buy new units to control my Sonos system is ridicules and unfair to Sonos customers. I am not technologically or financially challenged but I should not have to spend $ 1,800 (3 iPads x $ 400 + $200 LaunchPort sleeves) just to continue to use the $ 6K worth of Sonos equipment I own.

I also agree with the hundreds of other posts in different categories complaining about the constant Sonos App updates. When I first starting using Sonos 4 plus years ago you could do anything in the App on the main page by pushing a few buttons. Now you must push 5 or 6 buttons on multiple pages to accomplish the same task. I own a technology company, so I am not some old guy complaining about having to learn something new, I am complaining because you are not making the user experience better by forcing me to push more buttons. In this case, change does not always equal better, and it should in a company with your history and experience of making innovative products. Although I do not put Sonos in the same category as my dislike for Apple, I do think you are arrogant, and that attitude is not going to serve you well in the long run.

Sonos can certainly figure out how to support older software on IOS products that Apple does not support. You could easily keep multiply older versions on your website for your customers to download outside the Apple App store. Let’s be honest, you do not want to do it. Sonos could also figure out how to let people keep an older version of the software they like better, and not force them into a new skin. I realize that this is a complicated issue and I could not possibly be aware of all the challenges Sonos is faced with, but I think there was a better way to handle it for your loyal customers.

Totally agree on what you said. Well speaking. 

Sonos, like Apple, play the “Oh we have to update our products, which means you’ll lose compatibility and function” game because of one simple thing- without updates, no further profits are generated. While Sonos’s speakers work fine, and the system “can” work very well, they continue to upgrade simply to force consumers to buy more products. Their software is garbage, and constantly requires re-boots. I use it probably once every two weeks and honestly cannot remember a time when I could simply “turn it on”. If guests are coming I have to remember to “start” my audio system, which means spending anywhere from 5 to 40 minutes getting it back to working. 

Now with their “new improved” system, the app has been dropped from my iPhone, and only 2 of the 6 speakers can be found from my desk top app. Only by adding new speakers via my daughters iPhone allows me to add speakers. For this I had the privilege of spending well into the $1000’s of dollars to outfit my home. They think they are clever, and are only employing “capitalistic” technique- I pray for the day a competitor makes itself available. Brand loyalty, which often counts for some thing, is at an all time low for this product. I look forward to getting rid of it.