iOS14 upgrade - S1 app not working

• 17 September 2020
  • 58 replies

Up dated to IOS14 yesterday, SI app refused to work. 
After an hour of doing the turn it on and off again dance, with no joy… in installed the app and reinstalled it.

The app then asked permission to connect to Wif and Bluetooth- system is now up and running.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Ok tried more stuff and got it to work.  One of the things I did was to check with my interest service provide home page.  I use AT&T and they have a website where I can manage my internet (like the name and password, setting up guest network, etc).  It can also show what devices are connected to the internet.  So when I checked, none of my sonos devices showed up as being connected to my network.  For some reason it looked like when I upgraded to iOS14 it reset or kicked my sonos devices off the internet and wasn’t connecting back up automatically?  Weird.  Anyway, I did a restart of my network from the website.  It took a few minutes to shut down and restart (and honestly I am not sure if this is the same as unplugging the router or not) but after the restart it showed the sonos devices back and then I was able to reconnect to my sonos app on my phone.  Not sure this will work for everyone, seems like there are other issues too, but worth a try. 

Dang man - when I signed in Sonos popped up with a “do you want emails about discounts on new products?” At this point, I want to pitch my entire Sonos system into the Potomac and move to Alaska - But - rather than burn it down, I’d love to get this app woking again. I have:

unplugged router, reset router, unplugged all Sonos components, reset components, plugged in the Sonos components into the router, unplugged all Sonos components after resetting the router and added them one at a time, reset the boost and added it back in. Rinse and repeat all of the above 

I uninstalled/re-installed the Sonos app three times, made sure I have permissions granted in the Privacy>Local Network, turned off the phone, reinstalled the app. Rinse and repeat. 

I have iOs 14, my girlfriend uses an older phone and older ios and can connect. I can connect with my computer - Macbook - I cannot with my iPhone 11, ios 14. Bam

Sure - high quality problems, I get that, but what the heck man. I’m good at this technology stuff but am baffled. There is something about a dedicated ip address - that stuff is beyond my capabilities. I am stumped. I may have to go full Boomer and actually call these dues at Sonos for help. So lame.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The real fix is for Sonos to update both apps to be iOS14 aware. As someone who is trying to do this for my own app, it is a PITA. Apart from the Local Network permission, which is straight-forward, you actually need explicit permission from Apple on a per-app basis to do multicast. Unclear how many apps Apple will allow to do this.

Badge

same here, did not go the lenghts of un/re installing as I have a few iphones stil on ios 13.x which still work
Can SONOS confirm that they will fix the issue and/or that we need to re-install to get it working ???

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ran into this issue this morning, although I have the S2 app on my iPad. I suddenly received a message my Sonos system could not be found on my network.

Turns out I had to go to Settings/Privacy/Local Network and select Sonos much as “Duncal” described above.

I just upgraded to iOS14.

Wish Sonos would have communicated this to its customer base.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out. Just to let you know that users who updated to iOS 14 and are running the Sonos S1 app, will get the system not found if you deny the permission.

Workaround

Go to iOS settings->Privacy->Local Network-> Sonos S1 and turn on the permission

d37ad3ed-8ee9-43db-a973-d6a76fd4e95c

Let us know if you can now access the system. 

We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The real fix is for Sonos to update both apps to be iOS14 aware. As someone who is trying to do this for my own app, it is a PITA. Apart from the Local Network permission, which is straight-forward, you actually need explicit permission from Apple on a per-app basis to do multicast. Unclear how many apps Apple will allow to do this.

Apple just approved my app for multicast permissions, so I guess this wont be a problem for Sonos either once they update their apps for iOS 14.

Think I’ve finally got new SONOS controller working in iPad running iOS 14. But I’ve gone from trusting SONOS, to thinking that even though it works now, it may play up again for no apparent reason in the future. Hopefully not, but I’ve been grappling with this for days now so not holding my breath. Thankfully the users on this thread (rather than sonos support) have proved very useful. I’ve got a couple of old iOS devices (12.5.2). They worked fine, so was able to update Connect (Gen2) and Play:1 to Sonos OS S2, Version 3 using one of them.  Next loading S2 on the iPad iOS 14. Here’s what seems to have got it working, it’s a combination of things in this thread. First disabling Private IP Adress on iPad as per earlier suggestion (thanks pjseps). Next Power off sonos devices. Power off router, power on again and let it reconnect (do this before powering on sonos devices) (thanks Tom_BP), this is a different order to the one suggested in Sonos troubleshooting steps. Installed S2 Controller again. And now I can connect to existing devices. Interestingly the SONOS App isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network settings on iPad, and I received no notification to allow it acces to local network when installing the App.  So working now, let’s see what tomorrow brings. In truth I suspect controlav is nearer the mark, when saying the app needs some kind of fix to be ios14 aware, but I’m no software expert.

Just as a secondary note, Sonos will not work with any Apple Beta iOS versions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Note that the iOS14 prompt to enable Local Network permissions for non-aware apps is not totally reliable. Based on experience, if you have trouble forcing it to appear, do this:

Uinstall the Sonos app

Reboot your device

Reinstall the Sonos app

When you start it, you should get the Local Network privacy prompt, and say Allow.

Also “connect to existing system” when the app asks.

Probably best that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you. 

Badge

Krishma M, you saved my day! Thanks so much. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem on iPhones but not iPads - found in settings under app the option to allow connection to local networks needed to be toggled on.

Badge +1

Ok, it works one day.

currently no Connection via App 

App reinstall, reboot iPhone … Connection via App works again.  But this is not smart 

I still have this problem. Gave the S1 app the privacy/local network permission, deleted the app, re-installed the app, restarted the iPhone (14.0.1). Twice. The S1 app still can’t find my sonos system, although my Macs both see it fine. All devices on S1 11.2.3.

I lied. One of my Macs wasn’t on the latest sonos version (11.2.3). As soon as I updated that, then the iOS version of the S1 app suddenly found my sonos system and all is good again.

I’ve also tried reboot, unplug, … nothing works for me. When can we expect Sonos to act on it ?

I’ve managed to resolve my issue with the Sonos app not finding the system over WiFi after updating iPhone to IOS14. Posting it in case it helps anyone else struggling with this issue. All other solutions noted above ie rebooting router, changing network privacy setting, unplugging speakers, uninstalling and reinstalling app etc all failed for me.  

Apparently an additional privacy feature introduced by IOS14 was the use of a private address when connecting your iPhone to a WiFi network. This option can be found by selecting your WiFi network on your phone.  I turned this off and the Sonos app immediately worked. 

Badge

Rebooted router while speakers unplugged seems to solve the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Update. One week later. Sorry to say my previous attempts to solve this, one worked temporarily and lasted a few days. This morning the status is iPad running iOS 12 no longer connects, iPad running iPadOS 14 no longer connects, iPhone running iOS 12 connected briefly this morning,  now no longer connects. Thanks for all the suggestion Ken and everyone else in community. I’ll continue to try suggestions. My last post on this topic. The level of support from SONOS has been atrocious. Spending so long trying to fix software faults like this is something I’d expect when I try to do things on the cheap. A SONOS isn’t cheap. If I had the money it would be out the door. Unfortunately I’m stuck with it.

You are in the UK: are you aware that the recent update to the BT Smart Hub 2 broke Sonos compatibility? They messed up connectivity between 2.4 and 5GHz devices, which is a critical feature for Sonos. The recommendation is to use a decent router, or to disable 5GHz until BT learn how to write router firmware.

Also: I i grew up in Farnham. Well before there was the internet, or BT for that matter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. I really appreciate the assistance and sharing your experiences here. This is really helpful. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out. Try to remove and re-add the Sonos app on your phone if it’s not working properly. Make sure to turn on the permission and also a reboot of your phone may help. Let us know how it goes. We and the community are always here to help.

Restart of the iPhone helps !
thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that after enabling Local Network Privacy for the Sonos S1 app, it should perfectly work as the same with other apps in iOS devices. 

Upon opening the S1 App for the first time after updating to iOS 14 you will be prompted to enable "LocalNetworkPrivacy" for the Sonos App:

8392f7b4-8ffb-4bc0-b26e-4d4272f00fa0

If you deny this permission, you will be met with the system not found.

After allowing the Sonos S1 and still experiences system not found, then it’s a different problem. Continue to troubleshoot 'System Not Found' as normal.

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @disor, thanks for keeping us posted here. I’m glad that it’s working fine now. Just let us know if you still need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Interestingly the SONOS App isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network settings on iPad, and I received no notification to allow it acces to local network when installing the App.

Yes that’s very strange. I have iPad running iOS v14.4.2 and both S1/S2 Apps show in "Privacy > Local Network settings”. Must have been a fault with the iPad, or App installation - is something else blocking things? Some kind of security App/software on the iPad perhaps?

Think I’ve finally got new SONOS controller working in iPad running iOS 14. But I’ve gone from trusting SONOS, to thinking that even though it works now, it may play up again for no apparent reason in the future. Hopefully not, but I’ve been grappling with this for days now so not holding my breath. Thankfully the users on this thread (rather than sonos support) have proved very useful. I’ve got a couple of old iOS devices (12.5.2). They worked fine, so was able to update Connect (Gen2) and Play:1 to Sonos OS S2, Version 3 using one of them.  Next loading S2 on the iPad iOS 14. Here’s what seems to have got it working, it’s a combination of things in this thread. First disabling Private IP Adress on iPad as per earlier suggestion (thanks pjseps). Next Power off sonos devices. Power off router, power on again and let it reconnect (do this before powering on sonos devices) (thanks Tom_BP), this is a different order to the one suggested in Sonos troubleshooting steps. Installed S2 Controller again. And now I can connect to existing devices. Interestingly the SONOS App isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network settings on iPad, and I received no notification to allow it acces to local network when installing the App.  So working now, let’s see what tomorrow brings. In truth I suspect controlav is nearer the mark, when saying the app needs some kind of fix to be ios14 aware, but I’m no software expert.

Thank you for this. I will try it again in the order you suggest. Trouble is that even though I get it to work I have to do the same thing everyone I want to use the speakers! Here’s hoping they fix it sooner rather than later. All works perfectly on my wife’s Samsung!