iOS14 upgrade - S1 app not working

• 17 September 2020
  • 58 replies

Up dated to IOS14 yesterday, SI app refused to work. 
After an hour of doing the turn it on and off again dance, with no joy… in installed the app and reinstalled it.

The app then asked permission to connect to Wif and Bluetooth- system is now up and running.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Update. One week later. Sorry to say my previous attempts to solve this, one worked temporarily and lasted a few days. This morning the status is iPad running iOS 12 no longer connects, iPad running iPadOS 14 no longer connects, iPhone running iOS 12 connected briefly this morning,  now no longer connects. Thanks for all the suggestion Ken and everyone else in community. I’ll continue to try suggestions. My last post on this topic. The level of support from SONOS has been atrocious. Spending so long trying to fix software faults like this is something I’d expect when I try to do things on the cheap. A SONOS isn’t cheap. If I had the money it would be out the door. Unfortunately I’m stuck with it.

You are in the UK: are you aware that the recent update to the BT Smart Hub 2 broke Sonos compatibility? They messed up connectivity between 2.4 and 5GHz devices, which is a critical feature for Sonos. The recommendation is to use a decent router, or to disable 5GHz until BT learn how to write router firmware.

Also: I i grew up in Farnham. Well before there was the internet, or BT for that matter.

If your router broadcasts both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz try disabling 5 GHz as an experiment and see if that changes anything.

Update. One week later. Sorry to say my previous attempts to solve this, one worked temporarily and lasted a few days. This morning the status is iPad running iOS 12 no longer connects, iPad running iPadOS 14 no longer connects, iPhone running iOS 12 connected briefly this morning,  now no longer connects. Thanks for all the suggestion Ken and everyone else in community. I’ll continue to try suggestions. My last post on this topic. The level of support from SONOS has been atrocious. Spending so long trying to fix software faults like this is something I’d expect when I try to do things on the cheap. A SONOS isn’t cheap. If I had the money it would be out the door. Unfortunately I’m stuck with it.

Hi Ken, Ive probably confused things by posting to this thread about S1.  I’m now running S2. I was having trouble with S1 on all my devices, ipad, iphone, and I tried everything suggested.  Not sure what happened.  But once I found Connect(Gen2) could run S2, I upgraded Connect and Play:1.  And the old ipad and iphones we have are now fine.  Its just the newer ipadOS 14 ipad i was still having trouble with.  Apologies for posting about S2 to this S1 thread.  But I guess the ipadOS 14 Privacy feature is common to both.  And I never see the prompt you describe when installing S2 on the ipad (I’ve installed a few times now).  And SONOS still isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network, even though it seems to be working fine now.

That’s okay - the S2 App prompts here in the exact same way as S1(as per screenshot in my last post), but only when it’s fully uninstalled/reinstalled. Note it will not prompt for network access if the App is simply reset.

If it doesn’t do that, then I suspect there might be an issue with the iPad. Perhaps try uninstalling and rebooting the iPad before reinstalling the S2 Sonos App from the App Store. Oh and don’t forget to connect to the ‘existing’ system.

Hi Ken, Ive probably confused things by posting to this thread about S1.  I’m now running S2. I was having trouble with S1 on all my devices, ipad, iphone, and I tried everything suggested.  Not sure what happened.  But once I found Connect(Gen2) could run S2, I upgraded Connect and Play:1.  And the old ipad and iphones we have are now fine.  Its just the newer ipadOS 14 ipad i was still having trouble with.  Apologies for posting about S2 to this S1 thread.  But I guess the ipadOS 14 Privacy feature is common to both.  And I never see the prompt you describe when installing S2 on the ipad (I’ve installed a few times now).  And SONOS still isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network, even though it seems to be working fine now.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the S1 App and setting it up again to control the ‘existing’ system? It should prompt you to allow access to the local network… I’ve just reset mine, as a test and this is what I see during first launch:

Hi Ken, I have no idea to be honest.  This is why I think it may play up again.  I tried the sonos support suggestions, several times, and couldn’t get connection.  Whilst trying the suggestions Ive never seen the SONOS App listed in the Privacy > Local Network settings.   Its there in Privacy > Bluetooth.  Getting things working seemed to be a combination of disabling Private IP in WiFi Network on iPad, and turning router and sonos devices on and off in the order i described.  It may have been a coincidence, and it may play up again.  But, even though its working fine now, SONOS still isnt listed in Privacy > Local Network settings.

Think I’ve finally got new SONOS controller working in iPad running iOS 14. But I’ve gone from trusting SONOS, to thinking that even though it works now, it may play up again for no apparent reason in the future. Hopefully not, but I’ve been grappling with this for days now so not holding my breath. Thankfully the users on this thread (rather than sonos support) have proved very useful. I’ve got a couple of old iOS devices (12.5.2). They worked fine, so was able to update Connect (Gen2) and Play:1 to Sonos OS S2, Version 3 using one of them.  Next loading S2 on the iPad iOS 14. Here’s what seems to have got it working, it’s a combination of things in this thread. First disabling Private IP Adress on iPad as per earlier suggestion (thanks pjseps). Next Power off sonos devices. Power off router, power on again and let it reconnect (do this before powering on sonos devices) (thanks Tom_BP), this is a different order to the one suggested in Sonos troubleshooting steps. Installed S2 Controller again. And now I can connect to existing devices. Interestingly the SONOS App isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network settings on iPad, and I received no notification to allow it acces to local network when installing the App.  So working now, let’s see what tomorrow brings. In truth I suspect controlav is nearer the mark, when saying the app needs some kind of fix to be ios14 aware, but I’m no software expert.

Thank you for this. I will try it again in the order you suggest. Trouble is that even though I get it to work I have to do the same thing everyone I want to use the speakers! Here’s hoping they fix it sooner rather than later. All works perfectly on my wife’s Samsung!

Interestingly the SONOS App isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network settings on iPad, and I received no notification to allow it acces to local network when installing the App.

Yes that’s very strange. I have iPad running iOS v14.4.2 and both S1/S2 Apps show in "Privacy > Local Network settings”. Must have been a fault with the iPad, or App installation - is something else blocking things? Some kind of security App/software on the iPad perhaps?

Think I’ve finally got new SONOS controller working in iPad running iOS 14. But I’ve gone from trusting SONOS, to thinking that even though it works now, it may play up again for no apparent reason in the future. Hopefully not, but I’ve been grappling with this for days now so not holding my breath. Thankfully the users on this thread (rather than sonos support) have proved very useful. I’ve got a couple of old iOS devices (12.5.2). They worked fine, so was able to update Connect (Gen2) and Play:1 to Sonos OS S2, Version 3 using one of them.  Next loading S2 on the iPad iOS 14. Here’s what seems to have got it working, it’s a combination of things in this thread. First disabling Private IP Adress on iPad as per earlier suggestion (thanks pjseps). Next Power off sonos devices. Power off router, power on again and let it reconnect (do this before powering on sonos devices) (thanks Tom_BP), this is a different order to the one suggested in Sonos troubleshooting steps. Installed S2 Controller again. And now I can connect to existing devices. Interestingly the SONOS App isn’t listed in Privacy > Local Network settings on iPad, and I received no notification to allow it acces to local network when installing the App.  So working now, let’s see what tomorrow brings. In truth I suspect controlav is nearer the mark, when saying the app needs some kind of fix to be ios14 aware, but I’m no software expert.

Thank you for your answer. My wife has a Samsung phone and it works perfectly on hers. I will contact the support as well later. Shame the issue has arisen for apple products. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @StuW, if you’ve tried the troubleshooting steps listed above, then I’d recommend reaching out to the Support Team via either live chat or phone call - these kinds of issue are often related to the network, and the team will be able to take a closer look at your system, as well as perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

Everytime I go to use the Sonos app it can’t find the 3 speakers. I have tried all the fixes mentioned above the only thing that works is resetting the router…..every single time! I have an iphone on ios 14..I’ve checked and double checked the privacy/local networks….nothing fixes it. Can someone at Sonos help?

I’ve also tried reboot, unplug, … nothing works for me. When can we expect Sonos to act on it ?

Badge

I’ve managed to resolve my issue with the Sonos app not finding the system over WiFi after updating iPhone to IOS14. Posting it in case it helps anyone else struggling with this issue. All other solutions noted above ie rebooting router, changing network privacy setting, unplugging speakers, uninstalling and reinstalling app etc all failed for me.  

Apparently an additional privacy feature introduced by IOS14 was the use of a private address when connecting your iPhone to a WiFi network. This option can be found by selecting your WiFi network on your phone.  I turned this off and the Sonos app immediately worked. 

Did not work for me. I’m actually on the verge of getting rid of  the entire system. It is ridiculous that Sonos is not able to fix this. 

This is what I’ve done so far. Today it is still not working. I reset the router twice. Worked, but I cannot keep doing this on a weekly basis. Installed and reinstalled the App. Both S1 and S2. No difference. Removed the “private address” setting on my i’hone’s Wifi configuration. No difference. 

At this point they are collecting dust and going on the curb in a week. What a waste of money! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @pjseps, welcome to the Sonos Community! I appreciate you sharing that with us and I’m glad that you got your system working. Please let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

I’ve managed to resolve my issue with the Sonos app not finding the system over WiFi after updating iPhone to IOS14. Posting it in case it helps anyone else struggling with this issue. All other solutions noted above ie rebooting router, changing network privacy setting, unplugging speakers, uninstalling and reinstalling app etc all failed for me.  

Apparently an additional privacy feature introduced by IOS14 was the use of a private address when connecting your iPhone to a WiFi network. This option can be found by selecting your WiFi network on your phone.  I turned this off and the Sonos app immediately worked. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! I’m glad it’s working now. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Krishma M, you saved my day! Thanks so much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The real fix is for Sonos to update both apps to be iOS14 aware. As someone who is trying to do this for my own app, it is a PITA. Apart from the Local Network permission, which is straight-forward, you actually need explicit permission from Apple on a per-app basis to do multicast. Unclear how many apps Apple will allow to do this.

Apple just approved my app for multicast permissions, so I guess this wont be a problem for Sonos either once they update their apps for iOS 14.

Badge

Rebooted router while speakers unplugged seems to solve the problem.

Badge

I still have this problem. Gave the S1 app the privacy/local network permission, deleted the app, re-installed the app, restarted the iPhone (14.0.1). Twice. The S1 app still can’t find my sonos system, although my Macs both see it fine. All devices on S1 11.2.3.

I lied. One of my Macs wasn’t on the latest sonos version (11.2.3). As soon as I updated that, then the iOS version of the S1 app suddenly found my sonos system and all is good again.

Just curious where you see the S1 version. I have both S1 and S2 apps installed on my iOS 14.0.1 phone and iPad, but neither works. 

I still have this problem. Gave the S1 app the privacy/local network permission, deleted the app, re-installed the app, restarted the iPhone (14.0.1). Twice. The S1 app still can’t find my sonos system, although my Macs both see it fine. All devices on S1 11.2.3.

I lied. One of my Macs wasn’t on the latest sonos version (11.2.3). As soon as I updated that, then the iOS version of the S1 app suddenly found my sonos system and all is good again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The real fix is for Sonos to update both apps to be iOS14 aware. As someone who is trying to do this for my own app, it is a PITA. Apart from the Local Network permission, which is straight-forward, you actually need explicit permission from Apple on a per-app basis to do multicast. Unclear how many apps Apple will allow to do this.