Question

iOS10 and Siri Support

• 17 September 2016
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Can we get support for Siri integration in iOS10 please? and a widget for the lock screen

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ios lock screen control is via the built in music lock screen controls. Siri 3rd party support is fairly new but I wouldn't say its out of realm of possibilities in future (but appears they are focused on the Echo/Alexa voice integration first).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I imagine 3rd parties will jump in fairly quickly
Userlevel 2
ios lock screen control is via the built in music lock screen controls.

It is, but widget support would allow quick controls from the home screen too, as it doesnt always work in control centre for me.

iOS 10 has been available to developers for a few months now, so they could have been working on Siri support for some time

Also I think focusing on the Echo/Alexa is extremely unfair, as they use iPhones in all their marketing material. The only time they use Android is to make fun of the bluetooth pairing method
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually android controllers have better support and are much better Sonos controller vs iPhone because they can connect to sonosnet direct. Can have widgets and have for much longer had lock screen control because of androids much more open OS.
Userlevel 2
I'm not interested in arguing iOS v Android, only to say that Sonos actively promote their speakers with iPhones shown so it'd be nice if they kept us up to date
Userlevel 2
Not really sure what you're getting at there? This Is just a simple request for them to make use of the new Siri integration and update the software, nothing more
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
as stated they appear to be focused on Alexa - as they were not a part of the ios10 launch and siri integration if it comes it will probably be some time.

Sonos doesn't like to be beholden to specific devices and putting a lot of development into siri would leave android users out. So they would have to develop a lot to work with both kind of controllers. Instead they have chosen to go with a fairly independent and open device in echo integration.

Before anyone say it yes trueplay is currently beholden to Apple devices but that is only because Android devices were found during testing to not have consistency in their microphones. It was every intention originally that trueplay be on android as well.
Userlevel 2
No one had to be a part of the launch - every developer had access to the same software as soon as it became available in July, Apple just happened to have a few launch partners and Sonos wasn't one, but that was only for promo
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have chosen the alexa path currently
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonobit is an excellent lock screen widget.

The inbuilt lock screen control doesn't work with Playbar in TV mode.
Userlevel 2
Whatever the case may be, I'm still asking Sonos to integrate Siri
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok they are aware I'm sure
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Whatever the case may be, I'm still asking Sonos to integrate Siri

"Hey Siri.

Can you tell the kids to shut up now? They've got the message"
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the request, we'll pass it along for you. Also, I moved this thread to Controllers and Software.
I plus this request! Extremely important!