iOS Sonos app slow

My sonos app on my iPhone has betone very aloe to start up and find my speakers. 
The same for everyone in the family. 
Have tried to delete and reinstall App and reset all speakers and set up as new. Still the same. 
seems to have started since last update. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Usually slow app means a lot of network traffic on your router.

I would try a router reboot.

If still slow I would think about running Sonosnet (one sonos unit hooked to router) to get Sonos traffic off home wifi.

It was actually running Sonosnet so on its own. I have now tried to move it to my wifi but it makes no difference. App still slow at finding the speakers when starting up. 

And as I wrote in my first post it started when the last update was made so hope a new update is coming soon that will fix it. But it sounds strange if I’m the only one who has this problem??

The more recent iPhones and iPads (2019/2020) seem to open the Sonos App quickly enough for my ‘fair number’ of Sonos devices around the Home, less than 5 seconds to open from a fully closed state, in my estimation.

An older iPad Air is slower, but I have an old Android non-branded tablet running the 32bit version of Oreo 8.1 and that seems to open the Sonos App as quick as the latest iOS devices.

So just wondering if it’s the older iOS devices where this processing issue may lie? However I’m not finding the speed of opening the Sonos App a huge issue, relatively speaking, particularly in regards to some other iOS Apps, which often prove to be slower on startup. 

It’s an iPhone XS on latest iOS and latest Sonos app version. 
I don’t know if 12 seconds is slow (just timed it) but before the update it was ready less then 5 seconds after start up so it seems very slow compared. 

It could be a potential IP conflict with one or more of your speakers causing the delay. Certainly worth a refresh of the network by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in.

I’m a speed freak and I agree with the OP. While it’s only a few seconds (low single digit), and varies, this is an eternity to a speed freak. In this respect earlier versions were faster. Larger systems tend to require more time to start.

It could be a potential IP conflict with one or more of your speakers causing the delay. Certainly worth a refresh of the network by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in.

Have already tried this so this is not the issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Having the same issue - definitely not a network issue. Speakers remain working perfectly, mostly green matrix with a bit of yellow. It’s just that the start up of the app is really slow since latest update. When it is there it works just fine, but it takes longer than before.

Hey @flyingpadrejr. Thanks for the information.

For me to assess your issue further, would you be able to provide me a diagnostic report of your Sonos system?

Following this, please reply with the confirmation number and I would be happy to take a look.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey @flyingpadrejr. Thanks for the information.

For me to assess your issue further, would you be able to provide me a diagnostic report of your Sonos system?

Following this, please reply with the confirmation number and I would be happy to take a look.

Hi Adam,

Sure, that would be #1778822798

many thanks

Yes app much slower now than it used to be - Perhaps it is too complicated now - Sonos should bring out a more simplified version to allow it to be quicker

Yes app much slower now than it used to be - Perhaps it is too complicated now - Sonos should bring out a more simplified version to allow it to be quicker

The app is hardly doing anything.  It is a remote control, and doesn’t play the audio. I have seen occasional threads on here claiming that the app has become slow throughout the seven years I have been posting here.  It is always a tiny handful of users, whereas if there were a general problem affecting all users there would be dozens or hundreds of posts.

So far, it has always turned out to be a local networking issue.

I would have to agree with @John B’s statement. The Sonos controller acts as a remote to trigger the speaker’s communication to the internet.

I have taken a look at the diagnostic and I do see communication issues. Are you primarily streaming through Airplay 2? 

If there appears to be latency in the system, the cause of the issue is most likely network related.

I would first recommend rebooting your router, modem, and Sonos players. A simple refresh of the network can be a huge help in clearing interference from the network.

I have just reset everything _ network, router completely re-registered Sonos system as if it were brand new and my MacBook Pro 2018 still takes 12 secs to open the app - about 3 months ago it was about 3 seconds and I remember thinking how good the new app update was - can’t remember which update that was though.    I think it is just one of those things and suddenly there will be an update which will make it faster again for a while ! 

However,   I think the reboot has made it better than it was though.

Actually ,  as long as the app is left open it seems much more stable on all devices, MacBook, iPhone and iPad Pro.

After leaving the Sonos in standby and not using any device for an hour - and even though the app was left open - my iPhone took a while to load it and start to play music and then when I tried to take control with the iPad it could not find the system and asked if I wanted to “fixit’ and troubleshoot ! Oh well I don’t think there is anything left to try now perhaps an Apple or Sonos update will fix it at some point.  

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the symptoms you are currently having, I am concerned that a network disturbance is cause each of these outlined problems. 

I would recommend giving us a call at your earliest convenience, so you may continue this troubleshooting with a live agent. 

OP is not wrong. There is definitely something happening with my iOS controllers as well. It has been for about three weeks. It has been very slow to start. It seems to hiccup looking for the system and once it gets it, it operates relatively normally.

I know people are just trying to help. But why is everyone so quick to blame routers, devices and all sorts of other stuff when there was just an update to the iOS controllers on 3/10/20?? Could just be a glitchy update. It wouldn’t be the first time an update had a glitch or two.

You’ve got poor OP doing all sorts of silly stuff: resetting this, changing channels to that, uninstalling those things, running new cable lines…. 

Let’s not having him and others chasing snipes when he/they/we may just need to wait for another update - THEN start chasing snipes, if it isn’t fixed. 

My money is on a glitchy update that will be fixed in due time. 

There isn’t anything left for me to try .  No matter what I do or what I reset to factory settings all my devices end up taking a long time to find and connect to the system. I have 1 speaker connected to my EE smart hub via Ethernet cable so I am using the ‘Sonos net’  -   perhaps if all the speakers were brand new and bought yesterday it may be better…. The only thing left to try is buying a new

router - perhaps the smart hub is not that efficient after all it is given away free.   Does anyone know a good router I could buy ?

There isn’t anything left for me to try .  No matter what I do or what I reset to factory settings all my devices end up taking a long time to find and connect to the system. I have 1 speaker connected to my EE smart hub via Ethernet cable so I am using the ‘Sonos net’  -   perhaps if all the speakers were brand new and bought yesterday it may be better…. The only thing left to try is buying a new

router - perhaps the smart hub is not that efficient after all it is given away free.   Does anyone know a good router I could buy ?

Perhaps try a different 2.4ghz WiFi channel on your router, ensure the channel is fixed and non-overlapping, which means choose either Wifi channel 1, 6 or 11.

Then simply do the following…

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. Note you only need do this second step if you do not have a Sonos Move speaker on your network that is using the 2.4ghz WiFi band.

See if those steps help to improve things for you before spending your cash.

Ok - thanks I will try later - when the suns gone !      I know some devices are on 5g band of the smart hub. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

FYI, similar problem with myself on Ipad Air 2, Sonos loads all blank and sort of pulses a few times and then 4-6s seconds later is all present and works ok.

(I have also noticed a similarity with Alexa, pulsing and then finally displaying the Alexa front page)

Severa weeks been experiencing Alexa not responding on my Sonos One and having to disable / enable skill ect in Sonos & Alexa apps.

Time for a disconnect everything and router reset and add it all back in, I’ve the time but household will not thanks me !

ian

Yes the Sonos app now pulses like you say before starting up - it didn’t used to do that -

also, it often seems not to reopen on the room It was left on either.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I should say running running apple iOS12.4.5 (16G161)