Answered

IOS sonos app doesn't work over VPN/cellular

• 29 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I need to control various Sonos sites from my IOS device.  Works fine until I leave site; using VPN to remote into the site via cellular doesn’t work.  IOS app binds only to Wi-Fi adapter on IOS and doesn’t recognise that I’m routing via the network that Sonos is on.  Anyone found a solution?

icon

Best answer by ratty 29 August 2022, 18:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sonos doesn’t support use over VPN.

Even if you could get the app to bind to the VPN interface it’s most likely that the tunnel wouldn’t deal with the discovery multicast/broadcast traffic used to locate the players.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks I agree.  However my question was has anyone found a way around this limitation with the software?

To make Sonos work would defeat the purpose of the VPN. I would expect that your IT group that has imposed the VPN would frown on any “work-arounds”. 

I’ve been quite deliberate in what devices I allow to run a VPN on, versus which devices I use the Sonos controller on. 

Ironically the requirement’s usually the other way around: a user needs to use split tunnelling to ensure the Sonos app traffic is not sent down the VPN, but is kept local. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Reconfigure your VPN to allow split tunneling.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi.  Not sure how that would help given the issue is with the iPhone app not binding to the correct (virtual) adapter. Can you elaborate?