Question

IOS drama: direct cast music from the Google Music app to my Sonos system not possible

• 7 September 2017
  • 18 replies

Instead of the Android users it is not possible for IOS users to direct cast music from the Google Music App to the Sonos system. I think this is terrible and a drama. When is this made possible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

I suspect when Apple provide Sonos with the necessary technical information to make it possible, so you may wish to ask Apple that question.
What feature that would be direct cast is missing in the Sonos controller using Google Play Music as a source?
@John B: ofcourse, I did! With no answer as result!! @Kumar: I don't miss anything in de Sonos controller. It's more that I would like to cast my music to Sonos, directly out of the Google Music App (just like it's possible in the Spotify app) My main reason for this is: When using the Sonos app it's not possible to shuffle my entire library, and this feature is possible in the Google Play Music app
My main reason for this is: When using the Sonos app it's not possible to shuffle my entire library, and this feature is possible in the Google Play Music app
I don't understand - I do have Google Play app as well - when you load whatever you wish to play into a queue in the Sonos controller, there is a shuffle option for the queue. What kind of shuffle are you looking for?
One queue has only the possibility for 1000 numbers. My library is much larger, so I get an error when trying to shuffle it
Ought to be pretty obvious that Apple is the problem here...
That isn't a Sonos limitation. I have some queues of more than 3000 numbers stored as Sonos playlists and these move from ordered to shuffled and back again without any trouble.
Oh, okay, but the problem remains the same...
Ought to be pretty obvious that Apple is the problem here...
Actually, I am not sure there is a problem like there is when Apple Music is used, where "loving" tracks isn't possible in the Sonos app, only in the native Apple app that still can't be casted to Sonos. So the entire feature and its downstream benefits aren't available at this time via Sonos.

In the case of Google the corresponding thumbs up/down feature is available in the Sonos Controller app as well, so I don't think other than the visual appeal, anything is gained by casting from the Google app.
Yes there is a problem. @Kumar try th check ik for yourself: use the Google play music app on an Iphone, and you will notice that direct casting from the app to Sonos is not possible. Otherwise I would love to be informed
I did not say it is possible, and although I don't have an iPhone, I am sure you are correct. All I said is that unlike in the case of Apple Music, in using Google Play Music via the Sonos Controller, nothing is lost as compared to using the Google app and casting it to Sonos.

I have Apple Music as well on my Android, and it won't cast to Sonos, only Google Play will. But with Apple Music there is an advantage in using the Apple app because loving the tracks is only possible via the app, but not in the Sonos controller.

Based on the above, I don't see the "drama". What am I missing?
The drama is, that I would love to cast music from the Google music app on my Iphone to my Sonos system, which is not possible
Yes, I see that. But to repeat a question asked, what do you lose by using the Sonos Controller to play Google Music, that is serious enough to justify calling this a drama.
In the Sonos Controller it's not possible to shuffle my entire library (30k songs)! Perhaps that's also an Apple problem, but that doesn't bring me much further
As I said, I have no trouble shuffling my Sonos playlists, some of which are more than 3000 tracks. I have never tried loading all my music into one playlist, but I did that just now for my 20,000 songs just to check and they can be played in shuffled mode in a second.
Where is the drama?!
When I try to do this, I get an error. The information from Sonos I received is that this error occurs because there is a limit of 1,000 songs p/playlist! So, probably it is the best to use Google Music on an Android phone, and Apple Music (or Spotify) on Iphone. But that's not what I want
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm not positive, but I think this is a limitation of the Google Music app on iPhones. There's nothing Sonos can do to remedy that.

You can confirm this by simply trying to perform the same action through your phones speaker with the Google Music app.
@Skelton, If I use the Google Music app on my phone without Sonos (so using the phones speaker) then shuffling of my music library is not a problem! That works perfectly