iOS app never works

• 23 July 2017
  • 7 replies

Hello for sometime now my iOS apps on both iPad and iPhone don't work. All speakers work and play off my MacBooks .... I have reset the controller , checked the wifi connection deleted and reinstalled and nothing is working .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello Shannys, welcome to the community. Could you please provide us with the confirmation number from a diagnostic report from one of your Mac computers? Here's how: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is common after iOS updates for the router to assign duplicate ips to iOS devices and mess up their connectivty

On you iOS devices go to wifi settings. Tell device to forget your home wifi network.

Reboot router.

Add wifi back to iOS device.

You should be good to go.
Badge
I have to question this advice it can't be acceptable to have to keep restarting one's router. I can leave the house come back in my iPhone 6s picks up my home wifi yet no Sonos system when you launch the app, it's obviously working as I can go onto say my iPad and or my Apple Mac and no problem its just on phones that we use. I have lots of apps that don't

have this issue. I am so fed up with this junk. My wife dislikes it so much that she does not use it I had to place her old FM radio system back into our kitchen
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Tom, you don't mention whether the proposed steps fixed the issue for you. That would be instructive.

A couple of things to explore:

1) Check you're actually on the same WiFi network as the Sonos equipment and your other working controller devices. For example, that your phones are not on a guest network provided by your router.

2) WiFi Assist should be disabled: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also. to add to pwt's comment if you regularly find, especially after updates or if you suffer power-cuts at home, that you need to restart router, Sonos kit and other network devices you should consider setting Static IP addresses for your Sonos units in your router's DCHP table
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do the static IP address thing above to avoid. Also any time you have an iOS update you get this issue a lot as your router assigns duplicate ip addresses to your phone. Not. A Sonos issue. Just lack of connectivity is a symptom of your devices not properly connected to your router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Tom Milne:

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. Apologies for the delay in response. I am glad you've been given some helpful direction from the Community. I'm curious to find if you found those steps helpful. If not, let us know what you've tried and the results.